Getting Back in the Game

I’ve changed this thread from “No Judgement” to “Projects”, because I’ve changed over to primarily talking about the remodel. I figured I’d do that for the cabinet that I made in this post, rather than making a second, separate post just for it. If there is not enough Maslow for this to be a “Project”, please let me know and I’ll change it back.

I got the cabinet ends off the Maslow on Saturday and cut the remaining deck, nailer, and toe kick. I gave everything a light sand and then applied 2 coats of tung oil to each side. I was able to save the doors and face frame from the original melamine sink base that we bought with the set, so I simply reused it. Here’s each of the parts lined up before I assembled everything:

Then we assembled the components. First we built the plywood case. I quickly brad-nailed all the parts together once everything was glued. I wanted to clamp everything together first, but most of my clamps are still at my old apartment (which we’re getting ready for the final move).

Once I was happy with the case, we glued on the face frame, and clamped it in place. Once it was assembled, I had to route out a passage in the left end for the dishwasher hoses and power cable to pass through. If I had been smart, I would have had the Maslow cut that out while it was already making the part.

All the cabinets are in place now. I still have to put a filler and a counter cleat in the corner beyond the dishwasher. The butcher block counter will be arriving next weekend. I hadn’t leveled the cabinet next to the stove in this picture, hence the level sitting on top of it. It was actually bad enough that you could see the difference in the angles of the two face frames. I had to stick a 1/2" shim under the back to get it to match the sink base. Luckily, I have all these 1/2" thick scraps of flooring sitting around.

There are also more cabinets hiding around the corner. xD

It was a hot weekend for all this work, but we’re so close now to being done with the main milestones that needed to get completed for us to move in. And just in time, too, since we’re moving in next weekend! We’ve still got so much more work to get done for this to be “home”, but it’s good to see how much we’ve gotten done. The Maslow is about to help a lot more as well, so there should be more and more of the machine’s work as I get further into the project.

18 Likes