Glitter and Acrylic Resin?

Has anyone mixed glitter in with acrylic resin?

I was thinking about trying it in order to disperse light shining through the acrylic from LEDs.

I’ve used glitter in resin, but it often doesn’t turn out they way you’d think, and depends on the result wanted.

By dispersing, if you are wanting something that diffuses the light or reduces the harshness, one of the best ways I’ve done it is simply sanding the epoxy with a grain just rough enough to leave a white skinned surface. Any LEDs underneath will blanket the sanded area with solid even colour.

Glitter won’t diffuse like this, and will look better reflecting light coming from outside sources. LEDs behind the glitter will actually create tiny dark spots. Also, If you add the glitter too early to the resin it can settle at the bottom and not be evenly mixed through, likewise for any light travelling through.

Another option is using an opaque dye or mica powder and mixing through at the appropriate setting time. You can titrate the clarity of the resin or even add certain colours to stand out regardless of the LEDs shining through. a white dye/powder in small quantities can create a similar effect but add further dynamic shading. Hope that helps (albeit late!)