Ground Control crashes on launch

I’m glad the issue was sorted out.

I did some digging - it looks like a EFI issue -

“Most EFI implementations are 64-bit and you cannot use a 32-bit image with them, you can only boot 64-bit images. You will have to switch your HP devices to legacy BIOS to use the 32-bit image.”

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/463c6a49-5b97-46cd-9785-c2770292a7c7/cannot-usb-boot-32bit-boot-image-on-uefi-enabled-devices?forum=ConfigMgrCBGeneral

I know my tablet will not allow 32 bit images, by design it is not supported. The version of Puppy Linux I implemented is 32 bit Ubuntu 16.04 as it is for “old” laptops being re-purposed. They support 32 bit boot.

Sorry it didn’t work fo you I will update my Wiki.

Thank you

2 Likes

I’m getting something similar, but can’t get GC to run for the first time. /Newb alert

error when running main.py

C:\mas2\GroundControl-master>python main.py
[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in C:\Users\Owner.kivy\logs\kivy_18-08-26_28.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v1.10.1
[INFO ] [Python ] v2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016, 20:53:40) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
[INFO ] [Factory ] 194 symbols loaded
[INFO ] [Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_gif (img_pil, img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[INFO ] [Window ] Provider: sdl2
[INFO ] [GL ] Using the “OpenGL” graphics system
[INFO ] [GL ] GLEW initialization succeeded
[INFO ] [GL ] Backend used
[INFO ] [GL ] OpenGL version <3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.4459>
[INFO ] [GL ] OpenGL vendor
[INFO ] [GL ] OpenGL renderer <Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000>
[INFO ] [GL ] OpenGL parsed version: 3, 1
[INFO ] [GL ] Shading version <1.40 - Intel Build 9.17.10.4459>
[INFO ] [GL ] Texture max size <8192>
[INFO ] [GL ] Texture max units <16>
[INFO ] [Window ] auto add sdl2 input provider
[INFO ] [Window ] virtual keyboard not allowed, single mode, not docked
[INFO ] [Text ] Provider: sdl2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “main.py”, line 33, in
from UIElements.screenControls import ScreenControls
File “C:\mas2\GroundControl-master\UIElements\screenControls.py”, line 7, in
from UIElements.backgroundMenu import BackgroundMenu
File “C:\mas2\GroundControl-master\UIElements\backgroundMenu.py”, line 8, in
from PIL import Image as PILImage
ImportError: No module named PIL

my setup: Windows 10, Dell Optiplex 790, python 2.7.xx, I can run the kivy examples a-ok which makes me think this is a GC issue

Any ideas?
JF

This seems to be related to 1.20 background functions - Please try 1.18

Thank you

Bee, thanks. Will try on Tues or Wed.

PIL is a python graphics library. It sounds like it is not loaded on your system. You might try
pip install PIL from the command line. I don’t run Windows, so I am not certain what the path to pip will be.

Are you using the Windows package and launching the .bat file , or the source code? The Windows package has the PIL/Pillow library already installed and should not need it added but using the source code would require the step that @Jim_Penny mentions.
If you haven’t tried the Windows package, give it a go. @Bar builds it to make adding other libraries unnecessary. Let us know if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

@Jim_Penny @blurfl - will check it out tonight if I have time. Might try the back version of GC first per Bee’s recommendation.

Thanks for everyone’s help so far…can’t wait to ask more questions once I’m making little ones out of big ones :wink:

2 Likes

Ok, me again. So… trying a back version did not work.

When I run the portable from the command line I get this:

C:\maslow\GroundControl-Windows.Portable.v1.20\GroundControl>python main.py
[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in C:\Users\Owner.kivy\logs\kivy_18-08-27_5.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v1.10.1
[INFO ] [Python ] v2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016, 20:53:40) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
[INFO ] [Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_gif (img_pil, img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[WARNING] [Input ] WM_Touch/WM_Pen not supported by your version of Windows
[INFO ] [Window ] Activate GLES2/ANGLE context
> [CRITICAL] [Window ] Unable to find any valuable Window provider.
sdl2 - RuntimeError: Could not initialize OpenGL / GLES library
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core_init_.py”, line 67, in core_select_lib
cls = cls()
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core\window\window_sdl2.py”, line 140, in init
super(WindowSDL, self).init()
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core\window_init_.py”, line 968, in init
self.create_window()
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core\window\window_sdl2.py”, line 272, in create_window
self.fullscreen, resizable, state)
File “kivy\core\window_window_sdl2.pyx”, line 209, in kivy.core.window._window_sdl2._WindowSDL2Storage.setup_window
File “kivy\core\window_window_sdl2.pyx”, line 66, in kivy.core.window._window_sdl2._WindowSDL2Storage.die

File “main.py”, line 32, in
from UIElements.frontPage import FrontPage
ImportError: No module named UIElements.frontPage

and when I run the master from the command line, I get this:

C:\maslow\GroundControl-master>python main.py
[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in C:\Users\Owner.kivy\logs\kivy_18-08-27_6.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v1.10.1
[CRITICAL] [Window ] Unable to find any valuable Window provider.
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core_init_.py”, line 67, in core_select_lib
cls = cls()
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core\window\window_sdl2.py”, line 140, in init
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core\window_init_.py”, line 968, in init
self.create_window()
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\kivy\core\window\window_sdl2.py”, line 272, in create_window
File “kivy\core\window_window_sdl2.pyx”, line 209, in kivy.core.window._window_sdl2._WindowSDL2Storage.setup_window
File “kivy\core\window_window_sdl2.pyx”, line 66, in kivy.core.window._window_sdl2._WindowSDL2Storage.die

File “main.py”, line 33, in
from UIElements.screenControls import ScreenControls
File “C:\maslow\GroundControl-master\UIElements\screenControls.py”, line 7, in
from UIElements.backgroundMenu import BackgroundMenu
File “C:\maslow\GroundControl-master\UIElements\backgroundMenu.py”, line 8, in
from PIL import Image as PILImage
ImportError: No module named PIL

and checking my OpenGL compatibility indicates I can run up to 3.1…

don’t run the portable version from the command line. double click the “Launch Ground Control.bat” file.

1 Like

@Jatt, thanks…no dice. Same error regarding GL 1.1.

But…i was able to look into the PIL error and was able to install Pillow (python -m pip install Pillow). Now I get this error:

C:\maslow\GroundControl-master>python main.py
[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in C:\Users\Owner.kivy\logs\kivy_18-08-27_15.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v1.10.1
[INFO ] [Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_pil, img_gif (img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[CRITICAL] [Window ] Unable to find any valuable Window provider.
cls = cls()
self.create_window()

[CRITICAL] [App ] Unable to get a Window, abort.

oh.
um try moving the ground control folder to an editable location, not in the root of C
like your user desktop.

i think the problem is that it’s trying to use a different python than the one that’s included in the app. it needs to use the version that comes with the portable package, not your custom version that’s located in c:\Python\

If you haven’t gotten help with this in a couple hours, i’m not near my win 10 device right now, but i will be in a few hours and i can look at it to see what the logs show on mine.

@Jatt, thanks. The maslow directories that I have are all full access/not read only. I fixed that yesterday at some point. I will be around if you want to ping me.

@forrestjr, the console output (‘python main.py’) indicates that you’re working to run the development version instead of the release package. Nothing wrong with that, but avoiding the issues you’re facing is the reason that each release offers a pre-packaged Windows executable with everything included, ready to run.
Consider giving the Windows package a try.

1 Like

@blurfl, thanks. I’ve been trying both every time a make a change.

UPDATE SOLVED #yay

So @Jatt 's last comment got me thinking… “maybe I DO have maslow in the wrong directory!” So on a whim, I moved it to my users directory and ran main.py again (master version)…AND BINGO! I now have a maslow screen. This just happened so I don’t know what’s going to happen when I start using the interface /fingers crossed //beer

Hopefully I can get into calibration celebration mode tonight. If good, I will post once more.

5 Likes

Yeah, windows 10 really doesn’t like it when you put things in the root of C . Glad you got it working.

Confirmed…calibration complete! Thanks for the tips everyone.

5 Likes