Maslow Home Maslow Community Garden Newsletter

Ground Control On Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Trying to use a Raspberry Pi instead of a standard laptop. Followed all of the KivyPie steps and finally got Ground Control running. I’m have two issues though. First, my mouse and keyboard are not working. I followed the steps to comment out something… should I comment it back? Secondly, Ground Control wants me to update to pyserial 3.x, which I’ve done. But GC still thinks I’m using 2.6. See attached image. Any ideas?

I have had a great experience with Ubuntu Mate Linux on the same hardware, following the generic Linux setup.

Here are a group of other discussions in the forum:

The following only works with a Pi foundation touch screen & Pi * ( the current image only works with the older Pi3 B not the newer B+ model)

Hope this is helpful

Thank you

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for all of the great info. I’ll try a couple of these out and see which one works best, and report back.

2 Likes

Anyone tried Raspberry Pi 2 Model B ? (previos 2nd model)
I have one lying around, mint unused in a box. That would be better as I cry every time dust falls on my new MacBook :frowning:

any pi2 should be easily good enough.

Sorry for bringing this topic up again but while I am preparing the Raspberry Pi3+ I am confronted with some issues.
I followed this instructions

And now I am stuck and get this error

"pi@raspberrypi:~/kivy/kivy/kivy/kivy $ cd /home/pi/kivy

pi@raspberrypi:~/kivy $ python setup.py build

File “setup.py”, line 1024
def glob_paths(*patterns, excludes=(’.pyc’, )):
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

pi@raspberrypi:~/kivy $ sudo python setup.py install
File “setup.py”, line 1024
def glob_paths(*patterns, excludes=(’.pyc’, )):
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
"

Anybody knows how to help me?

best regards
-kompass

It’s been a while and kivy is a moving target. I used the Linux instructions in the past to get it fully installed locally. I remember getting errors and having to work through them with Google but got it to run eventually. This is over a year ago now.

https://kivy.org/doc/stable/installation/installation-linux.html

Or you could use - WebControl Releases for Testing

Webcontrol is not based on Kivy

Thank you

Finally I did it…took me hours of doing stuff that I did not understand, but I think I managed :smiley:
Now I just have to wait for the touch screen to build my new control-brain.

1 Like