Grounding of the RJ45 Shielding Connectors to Reduce EMI

Carson Barry wrote:

There were a few suggestions for securing the connectors to the sockets that came from that:

1. hot glue
  2. velcro
  3. 3D printed, snap-fit, collar

I lean towards the latter 2 because they don’t require a consumable+tool+time to reassemble, though the hot glue would, if applied correctly, be the strongest of the 3.

Hot glue is cheap, common, very secure, and also keeps dust out, so I would lean
towards it.

David Lang

should also consider Ethernet cables modded with signal drivers at both ends of the cable, tap voltage from mainboard

The idea behind using ethernet cables was that they are cheap and readily
available in different lengths (for people modifying the system), going to
special cables defeats this purpose and it would be better to switch to some
other connector.

David Lang

Well that’s fine if things are working but they are not 100%. Maslow hardware design pushes the distance one can send I2C signals too far. Period. That leads to data link errors. Signal l drivers would help, especially in this harsh environment. Adding them in-vivo on the cable ends retrofits to the existing mainboard. Any solution is better than nothing.

1 Like

Why do I have an image in my head of two M4s both anchored to the same board, routers whining, trying to push each other out of the ring…

2 Likes

I thought it was just me having that dream, tbh. Should probably have Bar check the firmware for ghosts.

1 Like

The dream has M4’s “harmonically resonating” together, and the sound they make…it sounds better than chitty chitty bang bang. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here is a prototype idea (needs to be taped to seal, as there is a slot to slide it over the cable. I’ll make the model available once I fix the centering of the slot, which I messed up on this iteration.

5 Likes

Super cool!

Here is the 3MF EthernetCover.3mf (31.7 KB)

and the onshape model

2 Likes

Does this also act to secure the connection against vibration causing disconnects?

1 Like

I wouldn’t think so. it just surrounds the port and a few cm above to protect from dust mostly. I think I’ll probably add a strip of electrical tape along the side where the slot is and the top to really keep all the dust out.

1 Like