Help! Alarm Notification: The sled is not keeping up with it's expected position

I am suspecious that the left motor isn’t getting enough power. The error always comes up when the left motor is pulling the sled and also, this could be unrelated, when moving from right to left the sled moves in a series of quick, uniform stop and go movements where as when it moves the other direction the movement is smooth and continuous. (I’m cutting large diameter circles so essentially it is just a series of small straight lines but It’s noticed when cutting to the left.)

1 Like

This is with firmware 1.14?

Yes. GC1.4 and firmware 1.4

1 Like

If the issue comes up intermittently it could be a loose connector somewhere. If the motor cable becomes disconnected that could cause it to trigger that error. I would recommend re-seating the connectors and then let’s hope it stays away and if it comes back we’ll debug more

1 Like

You may be right and that would be the simplest explaination (which is usually the correct one) however all the cables on my rig have been secured to the frame so that they can’t come loose. But who knows? If it happens again I will let you know and I really appreciate the help and quick response.
Cheers!

1 Like

I just got the same message when cutting the final sled. It cut all of the holes. When it was time to cut the circle is when I got the error message

@Matthew_Williamson is there anything special about the design of your machine?

I don’t think so. It’s the default frame and sled with the Ridgid router.

Could you post your groundcontrol.ini file and the .nc file for the sled?

a slightly sub-standard power supply can cause this. If you can measure the
voltage while cutting, if it drops below 12v, it will cause the motors to run
slower and make it far more likely to trigger this alarm

David Lang

I was also getting this recently during calibration. Not sure what exactly fixed it (because I did multiple things at once) but I do know that my power cord to the Arduino motor board was not 100% inserted and after pushing it in a little more I stopped getting the message.

2 Likes

I don’t know what caused the error but the second time I ran it it worked fine.

3 Likes

I do not see the notification disable option or I would try it just to get through this cut. I cannot goto a gcode line because of this error notification (or, of course, that which is causing this to stop everything and notify me). Any ideas? I’ve tried lowering rate, using a macro to make it think it knew what it didn’t know that it knew :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and tried another trick to get it moving and add the gcode line number while it was in transit. the “sled not keeping up” doesn’t pop up when I just simply enter the gcode line number and click play but the motors give a pulsing whine (for too long) until I hit stop. The motors are all working in all the other “homing” I’m doing.

If you’ve tried lowering the rate and it’s still happening that makes me think it could be an issue with the machine’s understanding of it’s geometry. If the machine thinks it’s bigger than it is it could think it’s not keeping up. Does that seem like a possibility?

1 Like

It could be a possibility but “homing” takes me home and it still reads 3 inches left and 1inch down which is what I set it for and is accurate. Do you think that because it’s nowhere near the coordinates it should be when I tell it to “go to”, that it doesn’t think it is keeping up? I mean, that’s what I need it to do, so maybe there’s another approach, a missing step.

YES!! I think you nailed it, that sounds like exactly what is going on. I bet it’s an issue with the “go to” button. (it’s pretty flaky)

Do you see the same issue if you start near where the go to should be resuming?

1 Like

I’ll have to try and see. For clarification, I’m not entirely sure what line of gcode I truly need to “go to” to resume. All I know is I had seen it past the half way point and about 5-10 minutes later I noticed that my “pc had a problem” and all needed restarted in the midst of the cut. I’ll just be patient and keep trying when I get time tomorrow😀

I did try. None of this seems to work.:thinking:

Darn. Have you checked if the power supply is plugged in all the way? Someone else had a similar issue which was fixed by unplugging and re-plugging the power supply. I know it sounds lame but worth a try

2 Likes

What is the feed rate in GC in the settings? Have you tried what happens with say 50% of what was there? Would the message still show up?

Edit: What is the total weight of your sled?

2 Likes