Holey and Makerverse on mega original Maslow not functioning

My mac did not yeald any results of use either. I suspect the firmware is for a pc. To tired to pursue this anymore today. this was the error message.
Arduino: 1.8.1 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

fork/exec /private/var/folders/bc/4sy0776d11x6nw7kxvybl5g80000gp/T/AppTranslocation/43C336DE-CC13-45C0-86C4-81211FCBA088/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++: bad CPU type in executable
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

The arduino firmware is made for the arduino processor and whether it gets copied (flashed) by a pc or a mac or linux or raspberry pi, it is the same compiled hex file being transferred to the arduino. The Mega 2560 is the processor name. The error you are seeing makes it look to me like you have the wrong g++ version for your arduino program on your computer. I would remove the arduino IDE and download and install the newest version and see if the installation will put in the parts it needs.

1 Like

Are there precompiled binaries available? I know it’s been traditional to want Maslovians to install the Arduino IDE and compile from source, but as the vast majority will never look at the source, let alone attempt to modify or closely examine it for coding errors or malware, eliminating this rather unnecessary step would seem like a good idea.

The 51.28 and 51.29 binaries are on the site. In order to program them though, you use AVRdude_gui or the commandline avrdude unless you have webcontrol installed. Either way, you have to use the IDE or some other program to get the binary on the arduino and that appears to be the challenge here.

I just tried Arduino 1.8.13 with no change. I did take the shield off and have the Arduino board sitting on my desk connected with the usb cable. This allowed me to get at the reset button which I thought might take the existing firmware off. When I open Makerverse and go through the process of choosing the machine I still get Firmware: MaslowClassic v1.28.
On another note I have ordered another new board.

This was on my Mac by the by!

Just to be complete about things the green light and one yellow are solid with another yellow flashing rapidly.

I have just been looking at WebControl. Could this solve my issue if I install it and can I put the correct firmware on with it? I am grasping at solutions. My wifi repeater for my shop is kind of slow so I haven’t wanted to use a web based system but if it would do the trick!

This is the tail end of verbose output from arduino
Looks to me like everything is good but trhe board is not writing the new firmware.

avrdude: writing flash (62290 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 9.99s

avrdude: 62290 bytes of flash written

avrdude: verifying flash memory against /var/folders/bc/4sy0776d11x6nw7kxvybl5g80000gp/T/arduino_build_715172/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex:

avrdude: load data flash data from input file /var/folders/bc/4sy0776d11x6nw7kxvybl5g80000gp/T/arduino_build_715172/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex:

avrdude: input file /var/folders/bc/4sy0776d11x6nw7kxvybl5g80000gp/T/arduino_build_715172/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex contains 62290 bytes

avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 7.82s

avrdude: verifying …

avrdude: 62290 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

that looks right. the question is: where did you get that .ino file and which one is it? if you got it from http://github.com/webcontrolcnc/firmware, then it is probably the right one. if when you plug it in, it says 1.28, it is the wrong branch… you want 51.28

Son of a GUN. I got it!! I think it has been me all along downloading trhe wrong Firmware! Thanks so much for sticking by me!
Anyone need a new Arduino?

3 Likes

OK So I followed your thread all the way down because i have the same issues. where did you
get the 51.28 everything I download and then upload, through the AVR Dude and github keeps giving me the 1.28 not 51.28

to get the 51.28, you need to either:

1. download the hex (available on this forum) and use avrdude GUI
    OR
  2. clone the github repository and check out the 51.28 repository. I’m short on time right now to make instructions if you are unfamiliar with that, but my friend google has some references. The Branch is holey-firmware.
    OR
  3. (slightly more risky, but needs testing and “should work”) pull the 51.29a code from my repository just like you did with the 51.28 and you just download it because it is the main branch. If you have an eastbay 1.5b system, this is actually your only option.

i did the AVR Dude and got all the same results as Sprasher listed in the thread…

The screenshot shows I have version 51.28 on the arduino but when I try to create my workspace on makerverse it still says I need to download 51.28