How to upgrade to Holey-51.28 firmware using Webcontrol in preparation for running Makerverse

In the end what we want is a machine easy to calibrate that cuts accurate
Although the Holey calibration makes sense and looks fantastic on paper, it’s not taking in account the human factor IMO
Taking a series of (12) measures by hand opens a huge window for input error
Fact is no one has made a comparison between different methods and reports of higher accuracy are still coming from users using Ground Control.

WebControl is a good alternative to Ground Control as it adds wireless functionality but have in mind that the limits of this machine are hardware not software.

2 Likes

Eastbay boards run custom firmware… We should add the different pinout to make them all work with the other versions. I’ll do it, but I need more info.

Thank you 2cents and Orob for the responses and the fix. I didn’t realize there were firmware differences between sellers, well the M2 is different but the regular maslows. I understand the limits of the hardware, really I was just wanting makerverse to work on my mac. and really because I like to have regular updates to software for os changes etc. My Maslow is performing as advertised thou. :slight_smile:

Orob I would still appreciate the effort. And now that I know how to get back to working state again, I would be happy to try out any updates you have to see if it works.

1 Like

Each seller has their own shield deisgn and the firmware must be specific to that. The motor current driver chips and sometimes the pins used for encoders and driver signals change as those chips change with improved board layouts and other features allowing spindle or laser triggering. It usually isn’t terribly difficult to modify… and following the link provided for the east bay firmware above should give the info needed to fix your problem for 51.28 for future generations. I think 2cents has a point though about all this accuracy stuff. Just because we can measure within 2 mm, doesn’t mean it will actually cut that close. There are a number of folks going back to makervers 1.0.6 because 1.1.2 calibration was too much of a pain and it was simple before. There are points for simplicity. My switch to holey calibration I did on camera on the first take and it is on youtube. I was surprised that it just worked. Clearly not everyone has that experience. Sorry my advice to just flash your system and go didn’t work. When I have a working code base for 51.29, I’ll let you know and you can try it with the ability now to go back if there are issues… if you still want to.

Sounds great. I learned a lot today. I wouldn’t say I can understand all of the code stuff but to load and erase, might see simple to some but it was a win for me. And I have to say it didn’t do bad after. :wink: but I’ll definitely try your new build version when ready. Here is my latest go 1/8th bit, what ever the max feed rate is and a 2.0 cut depth. Lower three layers cut in some sort of crap that gave me headaches when cut warping up, top layer cut in mdf. Worked out ok. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds great.

East Bay official firmware :slight_smile: works with the control boards v1.2, v1.4 and our newest v1.5. Feel free to download it as needed, you can see the pin out there, please let us know if you need any help

On a side note, our control boards are plug n’ play, they work with Ground Control and Web Control right out of the box, no need to do anything as they are programed already.

We have also a new/different version of Ground Control that makes calibration easier than before, just five simple steps and you are cutting.

1 Like

awesome. calibration was always a pain in the butt! glad to see you improve it.

Awesome moose!

51.29 is ready to try. I merged the east bay 1.5b board code with the 51.28 code, added the webcontrol user settable z axis software end stops, and included the new spindle pwm speed control (S in gcode). all in one. I submitted a pull request to the github.com/webcontrolcnc/firmware. there should be a link there to get the code. It is the “New_Feature_Verification” branch. I know, a lame name, but when I created a new branch off of that, it didn’t show the history of what had changed, so I just left it. The 51.29 branch should be the same since it was a clone, but my github skills are still in their infancy. Hopefully the code works and we can merge it and then that branch will disappear. The point of this post is that there is code now to try on the 1.5b east bay board that should work. We just need it verified before it can be merged into the master branch. I don’t have one of those, so one of you brave souls needs to do it. Please report back via public shaming how it works.

3 Likes

Thanks for adding the 1.5B board, I’ll give it a go this evening, however my GitHub skills suck, I’m not sure how to get to the firmware download. If you can help me with that part. I found the pull request and new feature verification branch, but don’t see where to download.

I think it has to be the main branch… I just made it my main branch, so you just click on the green code button and select download zip, then unzip it and open the .ino file in the arduino ide and you flash normally from there. good luck. Let me know if something is weird. It will make you recalbrate, so be aware of that.

I gave it a go last night for a minute, code compiled and loaded to mega fine, the motors didn’t move or anything wired this time. So seems the 1.5b board stuff is ok. I tried to connect with makerverse, no deal, see image. I will reload it again today and see if it will drive around with webcontrol on my other laptop. Makerverse gives me gibrish, maybe it’s my setting thou.

But I’m willing to keep testing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It will only work with makerverse 1.1.2 based on your window, it looks like you are using 1.0.6? Does it work if you try the newer version?

Hey Orob, I gave the firmware a go, it loads fine and communicates with makerverse 1.1.2 fine, however when I was going through the calibration, there is a problem with the motors, in the configuration for z-axis, when clicking the move up or down buttons the z axis doesn’t move, however both motor on top lower the sled. I guessing the shield board config must be off somehow. When out of config and trying to drive the sled around it only moves up slightly or down about 10mm with any input button(left/Right/Up/Down), mostly up with first click then down on second button click. The z axis also sounds like it wants to do something but it doesn’t move. I’m not sure how to give you more info but I’ll leave the firmware on it for now as I don’t need to cut anything so I can try something new if you can suggest it.

thanks for the feedback. Let me look into it.

No worries Orob, I appreciate your work, I wish I new how to give you a log file or something to better describe what’s going on. I feel like a caveman trying to explain physics to Einstein. LOL Overall on my end its a limited success. First off it talking to makerverse on my mac, Big step up. LOL The motors aren’t sending the sled to the floor or roof now, so thats a plus, it does want to do something. Its close. :slight_smile:

Hey Orob, I’m just checking in to see if you made any changes in the 51.29 Firmware version, I’ll give it another run if you made changes, or at least try again if everything on your end looks right. :slight_smile:

I started a new thread with the raspberry pi webcontrol that has the new 51.29a firmware in it. You can find it here.

Hi @scottfmosley ! Could you be more specific in the text edit part, please?

Hey Scottfmosley. Where did you find Webcontrol for Mac?