I can't even get the L and R motors connected. What is wrong with me?

Ok, so I have my maslow put together, and I’m trying to calibrate. Note: my setup will be of the type “chain off the top”.

Issue 1: seems that when I go to turn the left motor, the right motor turns. And vice versa.

Issue 2:
I also noticed that when I get to the step that will extend the chains, that both motors turn the same direction. Despite my first issue (see above), they should turn in opposite directions.

I’ve posted videos just to see if there’s something very obvious I’m missing:

Am I just really tired?

2 Likes

Hi there. You can just swap the cables on the motor shield to fix issue1.
Issue 2 conserns me more. What GC and FW are you running?

2 Likes

Hello-
Initially, I did swap the cables and went thru the the rest of of calibration process. When I go to the part of extending the chains, one just fell off since it was turning the wrong direction.
I am running ground control version 1.10 on windows 8. I believe I’m running 1.10 firmware.

3 Likes

I have not seen motors reported turning same direction, but there was a fix in how the information bottom/top chain feed is stored. Would you give 1.11 a try?
Edit: GrounControl 1.11 and Firmware 1.11

2 Likes

I’m really hoping that the issues are related.

The reason that the wiring is backwards from what you would expect is that the board is usually mounted on the back of the machine and so everything gets flipped :roll_eyes:

I would say move it to the back and let’s see :crossed_fingers: if that fixes the other issue too

1 Like

I thought they be related too. Regardless of how the the board is mounted, I connected them according to the install instructions. I did swap the cables and it didn’t effect the part of the calibration which extended the chains. One chain extended, the other fell off because it rotated the wrong way. I’ll try reflashing the firmware to the latest greatest.

3 Likes

1 Like

Great catch! You are absolutely right that the labeling on that picture is backwards. We just added the labels, I will fix that. I’m sorry for the confusion!

2 Likes

If you are doing top feed, one motor is extending the chain (the right one) and
one is retracting the chain (the left one), you don’t reset the chain after
feeding it out for the motor measurement

I’ve suggested that we change this to always re-hang the chain as this seems to
be a common thing that people get hung up on

1 Like

I reinstalled the latest firmware and switched the motor connections. I have walked thru the calibration again and it seems to have resolved the issue. Left motor turns in the clockwise direction when extending the chain. The Right motor turns in the CCW direction when extending the chain. Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

Excellent!!! Sorry again for the confusion…I think we can answer the question “what’s wrong?”…and it not you!

2 Likes