Interstitial Firmware Releases

Yes indeed! All the way down until it ‘cried’.

1 Like

I think that this is normal. There are two (related) values for the z-axis height. The first is the actual z-axis position in the real world which is zero when it’s all the way down. The second is the home position which is zero at the surface of the wood. The home position is relative to the actual z-axis position in the real world and running calibration will reset the machine’s understanding of the z-axis position in the real world so it will also effect the home position.

1 Like

BTW, @bar
fluidnc-maslow4-0.78.-win64.zip

is missing a lot of things that used to be in there… for next release.

1 Like

Like Fernando_diaz, I’m not able to connect after uploading these three to it. I can see it on the network but can’t connect via HTTP to either the IP or maslow.local. I’ve power cycled it as well, I plan on doing a recovery via USB-C. Interestingly I restarted FluidNC after applying them (but didn’t power cycle or verify versions in the UI) and was able to connect to the UI but when I came back an hour later, the web interface seemed down.

Just replying as a heads up in case you’re tracking weirdness like this.

1 Like

I wonder if uploading those three is filling up the SD storage.

There are two filesystems on the maslow: a flash filesystem on the ESP chip where these files go, and a filesystem on the SD card where the gcode (and some other things soon) go that is much larger. If the flash is full it is usually because the index.html.gz gets uncompressed by the computer downloading it (or the user) and takes up too much room.

1 Like

I am working on generally simplifying and streamlining the calibration process / UI because I think that it’s still a bit too chaotic and complicated. One step in that direction is that I would like to try to move most of the features that we use regularly out of popups and onto the main interface.

I’ve moved the z-axis buttons out to the main interface.

I’ve also added a bit of a lock to prevent us from accidentally clicking the define home button which we’ve done a couple of times. That button now requires pressing and holding for five seconds which triggers a count down.

Just the index.html file is needed to test it, I would love to hear your feedback on what you think. The extra white space on the right will be used to simplify the calibration process (I’m hoping we can get it down to two buttons and no user inputs).

index.html.gz (158.8 KB)

1 Like

Now that they are on the same page, perhaps “Define Home” should become “Define X-Y Home” to distinguish it from “Define Z Home”

1 Like

An excellent suggestion!

index.html.gz (158.8 KB)

I like it! I also think the file select and upload could be above the gcode preview and that would also allow a spot for any buttons like release tension we may want on this level.

I will have to do a PR to get those arrow icons lined up :slight_smile: :wink:

1 Like

Instead of using valuable main page real estate for the calibration process (which is an infrequent task) can you instead use that whitespace for the Retract/Extend/Apply Tension buttons (which we have to do all the time)?

2 Likes

100% less confusing. That’s my vote.

2 Likes

Yes! But I think that we can simplify the calibration process to the point that it only needs the Retract and Extend buttons.

Basically Extend lets you pull the belts out and then retract will pull them tight. When they pull tight it will check to see if the lengths it gets match up with the stored calibration and if not it will ask you if you want to run calibration. I think that we can compute everything else needed at that point so no need for any user input.

That message should tell you how far off each anchor is from their expected locations so you can make a informed decision.

Under a certain threshold, probably wouldnt run it.

1 Like

Could you change Zero Z to ‘Set Max Z’ ?

1 Like

A little while back there was a discussion on what it should be called and we landed on

2 Likes

Having the same distance set for Z and x/y seems bad, or at least very surprising! I hit Z up and it popped an alert that it can’t move Z that far, but then proceeded to do it anyway, driving it off the top of the leadscrews…

1 Like

Yeah I second that! I know it looks cleaner to have less on the panel but the scale of the distances are just so different. You’re either going to be adjusting it all the time or having little accidents like this with the Z axis. I don’t think its would really impact the XY.

1 Like

Yeah, I added that alert because I did exactly the same thing. I’m hoping that it’s something we get used to, but if not we can change it

1 Like

The alert would be ok if it actually stopped anything. for me it didn’t stop the movement.

1 Like