Laser cut motor bars and sled upgrades from www.metalmaslow.com

FIRST ITEM: $30 + $15 shipping: “calibration free” Laser cut motor top mount bar 120" and 140" motor spacing holes will not ship till 9/20/19 ONLY ships in continental USA. These will not ship till END OF SEPT. 2019. Because the holes are the same distance on every tube we can give you calibration data that lets you skip making a custom calibration (if using a metal maslow kit, if using other brand in theory users will be able to share calibration data if their sleds and router are similar). This will hopefully greatly simplify the setup. two tubes about 6 ft long with an alumimum c channel connector. Two sets of holes will give mounting options for either 10 or about 12’ motor distance.

CAN BE USED WITH ANY KIT: MakerMade East Bay or Metal Maslow brands.

2nd item: $120 + $20 (usa) shipping = $140 total
The sled is approximately 12" in diameter with a UHMW (very slippery low friction plastic trim) and weighs about 12 lbs. By the time you add all the component weights together the final sled will be about 25 lbs. Z axis is 200mm long.
See our assembly page for easy step by step instructions. Takes about 15 minutes to assemble. Please note the base is spray painted black. One will have to use moderate pluge rates for best results. We recommend no more than 1/8" at a time. Router not included. 3.5" routers can be used as well with a sheet of 1/16" plastic shim

2 Likes

Is that hole where a 45-degree coupler goes to hook up to a vac? Correct me if I’m wrong… the bottom of the sled is elevated above the work surface by the UHMW trim to create a gap for the vacuum?

I like this approach. In the spirit of making things the same, can you please provide the Maslow and Advanced dimensions/settings related to the sled and linkage (below). Obviously these can be measured but since it was designed and then laser cut, might as well provided them so everyone is working off the same numbers:

“Maslow Settings”:
Distance Between Sled Mounting Points
Sled Weight (ridgid or makita)
Vertical Distance Sled Mounts to Cutter
Center of Gravity (ridgid or makita)
Z-Axis Pitch
Rotational Radius

“Advanced Settings”:
Rotation Radius for Triangluar Kinematics

1 Like

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 18:17:18 +0000
From: WoodCutter4 via Maslow CNC Forums maslowcnc@discoursemail.com
Reply-To: Maslow CNC Forums
maslowcnc+52f2cc1a46ab4ddc29d8658ad0cec872@discoursemail.com
To: david@lang.hm
Subject: [Maslow CNC] [Swap Meet] Laser cut motor bars and sled upgrades from
www.metalmaslow.com

I like this approach. In the spirit of making things the same, can you please provide the Maslow and Advanced dimensions/settings related to the sled and linkage (below). Obviously these can be measured but since it was designed and then laser cut, might as well provided them so everyone is working off the same numbers:

“Maslow Settings”:
Distance Between Sled Mounting Points

not relevent to this type of sled

Sled Weight (ridgid or makita)

specify which router

Vertical Distance Sled Mounts to Cutter
Center of Gravity (ridgid or makita)

neither of these are relevent to this type of sled

Z-Axis Pitch
Rotational Radius

“Advanced Settings”:
Rotation Radius for Triangluar Kinematics

we should only have one rotational radius, not two

David Lang

yes the UMHW elevated about 3/16, however you have to decrease vacuum so it doesnt’ get vacuummed stuck. we also have a piece of channel that can go under z axis to remove saw dust. will update photo latter.

2 Likes

yes Have been meaning to do this, need to double check numbers will follow up latter

3 Likes

Just ordered a bar. Saves the hassle of joining multiple pieces of unistrut together, since big box stores and plumbing supply stores near me only have 10’ sticks.

I have their sled kit, and can say, that it’s a beast. I love it, there are a few kinks to work out since I got the wrong carriage plate, but @Metalmaslow is great to work with, and very helpful when it comes to getting it set up. I was given numbers for the pitch, and rotational radius for this set up and it worked out perfectly. See attached photo. The bottom ‘Joy’ was cut with the MetalMaslow sled. The top ‘Joy’ was cut with the standard stock sled with bricks & ring kit.

1 Like

The sled setup looks nice also. I wish I did a little more research before ordering my standard kit. Maybe can upgrade down the road.

Well I started off with the stock kit. Then saw the metal maslow and thought it looked great, especially without the bricks. It just looked more professional, better z-axis system, and since my router base has been ‘iffy’ from the start it was a no brainer for me. I wanted to eliminate the Ridgid base from my setup altogether, and this fit the bill exactly as I had hoped it would. And that white plastic like stuff around the edge, just glides across the roughest of surfaces! I actually thought about using a tracer bit, and copying the sled for a wooden version of this, but I honestly think the world would come to an end before anything damaged this metal sled. It’s THICK. SOLID, and heavy!

1 Like

Hi
Am in Europe and happy with my new metalmaslow upgrade kit. As you do not ship the motor bar to Europe I would be very very very glad about a construction drawing for this bar that I can give to my local metal laser cutter service, which fortunately is sitting in my backyard.

Kind regards
Mischa

Has anyone received their 12’ bar? I have been told several different shipping dates since I ordered a month ago, and no replies to my email asking when it will ship. Want to know if these are real or I should go a different route.

I have an order in for a metal top bar. Got an email from MetalMaslow a few hours ago that mine would ship on Monday!!! Can’t wait to get it installed.

I did too. Hope it comes. It’s the fifth shipping date I was told.

1 Like

Anyone that bought the metal bars they will ship out today. We sent an email out to everyone stating that we had to use a template instead of getting them laser cut because there just wasn’t enough interest to make it economical.
Please set it up and share your calibration data and what kind of sled you are using. Most people bought it with our metal maslow kit so as a team we should be able to get consistent calibration.

2 Likes

Santa came early to my house!

Despite Fedex’s best efforts to brutalize the shipment, it appears everything arrived in the box in good condition.

Waiting on my long chains to arrive so that I can use the 12’ spacing before I install this bad boy.

3 Likes