Left hand Motor Dead

Can you send me a PM on here with your shipping info? I’ll get a motor in the mail myself tomorrow.

-Chris

1 Like

Thanks Chris PM sent

1 Like

ive been having issues getting anything back from maker made as well. i had messaged them through facebook and they got back to me quickly and got me out a new arduino as it was part of my own diag since they dont have tech support. after that point they were MIA. i also had to email joel and pat and originally they got back to me. again now MIA after they sent out the arduino. the reason im adding this to this thread is bc i am also having left motor issues. when running the encoder tests it 100% of the time fails test 1 with no movement. i couldnt wait any longer for maker made to get back to me so i bought all 3 motors even though i feel they should had been sent out for free but none the less. i have now replaced the left had motor suspecting the encoder and yet i still have the same exact problem.

new arduino
new shield
new left motor

the only thing left on that side is the wire, right?

Daniel,

I feel your pain!!

The support was so hit in miss, you would get feedback that looked to be quite positive that things were happening in the background and then the communications would go silent.

I did eventually receive the replacement motor after much back and forth with lengthy periods of no communication on the 17th of July. I also sent photos of the motor and what went wrong internally after disassembly as I thought they would be keen to understand the failure, to which I did not receive a reply so not actually sure if the right people received the photos.

The new motor they sent I noticed when fitting it, is loose where it connects to the gearbox so need to pull it back off and get inside the gearbox to tighten the screws where it mounts to the motor.

As for your motor issue:
In my situation, the easiest way to diagnose was to swap the wiring on the motors to see if the fault shifts.

Good luck

One of my motors started to sound like a turkey’s gobble and after a bunch of troubleshooting, I discovered the magnet was detached from the shaft and would sporadically turn … are they normally attached by glue? I put some drops of super glue on it and pressed it against the shaft (the shaft has a lip to it)

1 Like

It depends on the motor, sometimes they are press-fit, sometimes they are epoxy or glued on. Was there any old glue residue? As long as the motor shaft doesn’t spin without the magnet turning, and the magnet is not off center so that it actually rubs on the hall effect sensor, then gluing it on should be a sufficient fix.

No, I assumed it was press fit, but it also easily moves up and down the cap that sits on the end of the shaft so I wondered if it was glued.

I put some superglue on the magnet and the brass cap and used a blade to wedge the magnet up against it. I’ll try it out some time tonight. One of the sensors is rather close to the magnet, but I don’t think its making contact.