Lowes has a new Kobalt 1-1/4 hp trim router for CNC and some are being given away at v1e.com

Lowes just dropped a new corded trim router for CNC. It comes with 1/4 and 1/8" ER11A collets and runs $99. it is about 2mm larger body diameter than the Makita and has built in LED lights. I was in on a beta test with Ryan at v1e.com who worked with the design team for this product and I was given a test unit to make a video. It is found here:

My MPCNC didn’t have the right mount, so I cut with Maslow in the video. Check it out if you are looking to buy a new router for your Maslow.

3 Likes

AND they are doing a giveaway of several on the v1e site if you care to sign up.

2 Likes

Cool! I heard rumors that this was in the works and if they look good we will absolutely support them!

Shameless plug. Feel free to flag and flame me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So how does it compare to the DeWalt D611 (the design router for the Maslow 4)?

I can’t speak to the comparison to the dewalt, since the testing in my video was only with my routers. It is a smaller body similar to the makita.

1 Like

I just looked online at the product. My dewalt dwp611 is 2.75 diameter. So since the belts fit around the router the diameter is too big. But was interesting. Speed of router is listed as 10k to 30k. Compared to dwp611 being 16k to 28k. Would have purchased to try id diameter was compatible.

Martha Montgomery

Actually, since i do not know where 3.5" was measured from. I decided to give it a try and see if it might be compatable. Also top speed is 35k not 30k as previously stated. But 10k rpm vs 16k for the dewalt is quite a difference. Also like the collets on it. In a tote somewhere i have every size collet for the er11 chuck.

Router I got goes 10K to 30.5K, couldn’t reach 35K. But that’s ok, am mostly cutting on lowest setting anyway. Observed ~2K RPM change for each indent, they have an indent 1/2 between each labeled setting.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

That is all good. The deminsion I am looking for is the diameter of the inside of the base alone. That main section on the router is where the 4 belt drives center on as well as the upper and lower z axis supports. They have to clamp onto the router. That is what I want to compare as well as how long that section is. That is the section the base adjusts on. Hope that helps.

Martha

I ordered one but since I am not driving due to health it will arrive sometime Wednesday. In process of trying to convert an adult tricycle into and etrike to get around

I picked up one of these routers. I’m going to see if I can squeeze it into my Bob’s CNC to see how it works (they use a Makita, so their mount may be too small for it). We’ll see how that goes. I ultimately plan to see if this will work with a sleeve of some sort in the Maslow 4 once we all get ours delivered. I like the LEDs on the bottom of it, as well as the ability to get an ER11-a collet to get and be able to have the options for ER11 system.

So far, all I’ve done is plug it in and run it up through all the speeds. Seems nice with the soft start, and the detents are really nice to hold the dial in the right speed setting. I’ve already had my Makita start to drift during a cut.

1 Like

The base is not used in the maslw4. It is designed specifically for using the Dewalt router. He tried makita but tends to overhead when used for long durations.

2 Likes

I think I see a possible problem with kobalt router and maslow4. The kobalt has rack and pinion gear for setting height. That gear will interfere with maslow unless somehow the gear is removed.
After my router arrives Wednesday i will compare dimensions to dewalt dwp611 and see how close they are and see if shims may be needed for it to work. Love that it takes er11 collets.
Martha

1 Like

The kobalt base is removed for use in the maslow and in most every other cnc system. I have used it in my metal maslow sled as shown in this video in the first post (near the end).

All Makitas do not overheat. When Bar made the announcement that maslow 4 would only support the dewalt, there were several of us that questioned why since we had not had issues with heating and the makita and we were assured there will be provisions to use a makita or similar sized trim router in the maslow4k.
Something similar will be required for the kobalt.

2 Likes

the router itself has a rack on it. The question is if it is removable, or if
the router overall is small enough to fit with a shim.

David Lang

I’m misunderstanding this rack you refer to. I have one of the routers and I’ll take photos if that will help. the router is 66.75 mm in diameter without the base.

It is a couple mm larger than the makita

flip the kobalt over so you see the switch, and down on the cylinder there is a
gear rack that meshes with a gear on the base. Is that rack removable from the
cylinder?

David Lang

You may very well be correct. I will have a kobalt router delivered on Wednesday. I can then take comparable measurements on both styles of routers. I like the kobalt has ER11 collets as well as slower min speed. It might be makita shim might work on kobalt. Also need to figure out if rack and pinion gear will interfere with clamping on the maslow. It might just be a wrap or two of duct tape is all that is needed. Will be able to check out in a few days. Since dwp611 is what maslow is designed for. Simple comparison should be easily done. It us just that needed dimensions are not specified.

Martha Montgomery

There is a button to hold the shaft for a collet wrench, but nothing protrudes out of the metal shaft that would inhibit something from sliding on. the makita mount will likely be a couple mm to small of a diameter. if it is a cam lock clamp, it might fit, but a custom kobalt-sized collar will likely be required.

Here is the kobalt in my metalmaslow sled Makita mount. The Makita mount was a bit sloppy. But the kobalt was made for it. Nothing on the Kobalt body had to be removed to fit.

1 Like