MakerCam iPhone Case

Love it!!! Looks like Prusa is pretty much king in that price range! All of the suggestions have been great though… Decisions, decisions!

1 Like

See

building a clone I3

David Lang

3 Likes

Although, sadly, it’s unlikely those manufacturers contribute anything back to Josef

1 Like

I fear you are correct.

Thank you

How could that be improved for Josef? What could he have done different?
hindsight… but maybe there is something to learn.

What if Josef had a bitcoin thingy, would people donate to it? Would that somehow make up for the loss?
or other kinds of donations…?

extracting the most amount of money from people is not his primary objective. If
it was, he wouldn’t opensource his designs and code.

People taking the design and building it (and improving it, if only in the
aspect of producting a functional machine for less money) is complying with the
terms of the license that Josef selected.

And the cheap clones and kits are making it so that more people can have 3D
printers, which indirectly helps Josef as well.

3 Likes

@clintloggins I’m putting together the newsletter to send out tonight. Would it be ok if I used your pictures (and gave you credit of course)?

2 Likes

@bar Most definitely!! Loved the dish rack!!!

3 Likes

Thanks! :smile:

I love the iphone case!

1 Like

@clintloggins

Let me say it again, that is great work. Which Iphone is this for? Would you consider putting your CAD file in the Community Garden?

Thank you

1 Like

@bee it’s for an iPhone 8 + … will gladly put the file there! I just finished ver 1.03 :thinking: trying to add a top cover then think of a way to snap or slide together

1 Like

@clintloggins

I felt a little risky asking you, but it is an awesome demonstration of what can be done. I’m looking into the specifics of the best way to put the files there, I made a place holder. I will follow up with you directly once this is nailed down. If you’re up for it I’d like to collaborate on making a how to than takes the user through Makercam. I also want to thank you for your generosity.

Thank you

normal CAM software will not handle bits that undercut (a dremel sawblade for
example), but manual editing of the g-code can use such a tool to cut slots in
the ide of something.

3 Likes

what about leather as a hinge?

qq

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thats how my laptop cover/stand Is put together. This one isnt pretty but effective

3 Likes

I thought some thin suede glued to a thin piece of plywood and to the back of the case.

still makes it a bit thick… But it also makes a flip cover that can then be used to place the phone display at a 15deg ‘maslow’ angle :smiley:

2 Likes

and lasting is better, allot of the times :+1:
Edit1: cheap is often also a factor

1 Like

I’ve been seeing some positive reviews of the monoprice mini select. This is a sub $300 printer that might wet the whistle :slight_smile:

A decent review by Mike and Lauren over on YouTube:

The one drawback to the mini is that you can only print 4.7”x4.7” so that might hinder your future as an iPhone case manufacturer :joy:

Love the case BTW!

3 Likes

phone.nc (36.7 KB)
phone top.nc (17.4 KB) (face cover)

4 Likes