MakerMade M2 Makerverse v1.0.6 Loses Connection During Cuts

Where you able to ck and see if you USB suspend is disabled in your advanced power settings? And are you still having issues with losing com during your cuts?

ā€œOrob: Webcontrol wonā€™t work with the due controller that runs the m2ā€ = yes sir, copy that, I did not know

" TimS: Where you able to ck and see if you USB suspend is disabled in your advanced power settings? And are you still having issues with losing com during your cuts?" not yet sir, I will do so and report back. I did however turn off the computer going to sleep / hibernate mode and turned off screensave turning onā€¦I will research and find where to ensure the USB wonā€™t power down on Monday when I recalibrate the whole M2 machine

I spent early this afternoon respacing my 12ā€™ top beam outward to parallel the chains better at XY motors and at M2 sledā€¦I was able to get it 3.5" chains to work surface at XY motors and 4" chains to work surface at M2 sledā€¦I canā€™t get it any closer without major surgery on my M2 frame assembly, I did improve the distance closer to parallel 2":4" before to now it is 3.5":4" so I am hoping that is good enough top get the chains to stop jumping teeth & skipping at lower outside corners. I am hopeful! I will recalibrate the M2 machine on Monday and also turn off the USB Power Down feature as was suggested

thank you both sincerely

1 Like

I took TimS advice and successfully updated the Win10 computer so that the USB settings never shut down, this has sorta solved the problem of Makerverse crashing and losing the G-code fileā€¦BUT, during recalibration after I re-spaced my XL 12ā€™ top beam outwards so chains were more parallel from XY motors to M2 sled (now within 1/2" of perfectly parallel as close as I could get without major surgery to rebuild the frame) but during precision edge calibration I walked past my USB cable and power cable from Win10 computer to the top beam swinging power strip above work surfaceā€¦and just touching brushing past the those cables made the Makerverse calibration menu crash outā€¦so just by happenstance I discovered that one reason among several the for Makerverse crashing and losing G-code file is touching moving the USB cable and power cables from computer to M2 machine and frameā€¦why is that? Dunno! But obviously I wonā€™t do it again

I did upgrade Makerverse V 1.1.3 to V 1.1.5 but Iā€™m still not seeing guest log in option so I can bypass the glitchy username and password login for Makerverseā€¦but after this parts cutting session tonight and tomorrow Iā€™ll power cycle the Win10 computer and restart it and try to update the code again as instructed above by OROB so I can get see guest check-in option when starting Makerverse. Iā€™ll let OROB and all of you know here when I accomplish that

Iā€™m always making progress and learning so much and am appreciative of all your advice!

PS, easel software says to cut 1/2" plywood at 30inch over minute with 9" inch per minute plunge rate with 1/4" router 2flute up cut but through experimentation Iā€™m successfully cutting at 55 inch per minute feedrate and 12" plunge rate per minute and the router bit seems to holding up good and not smoking friction burning the plywoodā€¦carbide but obviously, one of the makermade router bits

So now Iā€™m successfully cutting corrugated plastic, particle board, and plywoodā€¦ soon Iā€™m going to take my plywood prototype parts and try cutting permanent parts from 1/2" thick HDPE plastic sheet stock

I know many many people will read this discussion thread over time so my advice for anyone reading this is start out building an XL frame with 12ā€™ top beam and XL extended 15ā€™ M2 CNC chains and build cutting aprons on your frame so your M2 sled will be able to cut to edges of 4ā€™ x 8ā€™ sheet material and the sled not tip off when it gets to edges. Your frame will be insanely heavy but put it on caster wheels and all is well. Make your top beam adjustable up and down and in/out also. Purchase and install the Two Tankards upgraded dust collection system and purchase a dust collector, donā€™t mess around with vacuum cleaners or shopvacs. Try to buy the M2 CNC Kit and dust collection setup that fits the larger routers, I do not recommend the smaller M2 Kit that fits the smaller DeWalt 611 Router, that router is a good tool but nowhere near robust enough for heavy shop use on thick hard wood sheet material, just get the larger router size M2 Kit (I wish I would have but simply didnā€™t know). Oh and plan on having to really get good at AutoCadd or Fusion360 or CAD software and learning about Easel or hire a friend to do your parts drawing and G-Code creation. Plan on lots of test cuts to get your machine running and calibrated properly. I have been working on this machine for 12 months now and have mastered cutting corrugated plastic sheets and an finally mastering cutting out parts from 1/2" standard sanded plywood and particle board. There is soooooo much experimentation youā€™ll need to do to become competent and confident on this M2 CNC Machine but good news is that ALL of the skills you learn transfer over to ALL OTHER commercial grade CNC Machines which opens up huge possibilitiesā€¦

I believe Makermade should market and sell a full blown heavy duty XL M2 CNC Kit that fits larger routers, has the Two Tankards dust collection system, XL longer chains for 12ā€™ top beam, and some sort of XL adjustable top beam frame kit to speed up the assembly and getting people up and running. I used my 2020 Federal Uncle Sam stimulus check to buy mine and now I am understanding that truly to be most useful for heavy duty use you should plan on investing $2500 total at a minimum including dust collection machine.

Definitely the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done building this M2 Kit CNC Machine

Onward and upward thank you everyone

1 Like

Also if you donā€™t already have them separate. Separate the USB and power cords, this also helps eliminate com loss. Iā€™m glad disabling the USB suspend option in Windows helped to solve your issue. Happy cutting.

1 Like

@TimS: yes sir I will separate the USB cable and power cable from my WIn10 computer power strip going to the M2 tomorrow before next cut. they are zip tied together from Win10 computer to the overhead swinging arm with power strip and Due control board

So I pulled up your website. Honorable thing youā€™re doing. We need more people like you.

@TimS:

those are very kind words, I am nobody special just a neighbor like all of you trying to do what I can with what my limited finances and skills are. Sadly, these days, many human beings live worse than peopleā€™s dogs / cats / farm animals so the heavy duty bicycle trailer campers program weā€™ve been doing as a community since 2019 is an effort to upgrade these precious homeless human being neighbors of ours to at least living and sleeping better than the animals. The program has worked well and I am always trying to build these bicycle trailer campers stronger faster cheaper so never hesitate to offer suggestions. The M2 CNC Machine has streamlined manufacturing of the corrugated plastic external structure lowering the cost of production massively and last 8months I turned my attention to creating a stronger faster cheaper frame assembly so we can lower the overall costs per trailer camper even more.

3 Likes

Makerverse 1.1.5 is going completely HAYWIRE today! I have had the M2 CNC running on Makerverse 1.1.5 crash multiple times today this far with G-Code file being lostā€¦I have had to re-calibrate the M2 a couple times and now just a few moments ago Makerverse crashed AGAIN and the M2 sled wonā€™t re-home itself correctly and is more than 12" away from HOME position

what on earth is wrong with Makerverse today?? This Makerverse software is operating absolutely terrible. I would be first to admit if I did something wrong here or thought I did something wrong but I am pretty certain I am doing things correctly

this is absolutely ridiculous to see Makerverse crashing losing G-code files and then having to fully re-calibrate X,Y, and Z axisā€¦this is RIDICULOUS! OK, so am I alone in all this or are others experiencing loss of G-code files and loss of calibration?

I believe 1.1.5 is in pre release. Isnā€™t 1.1.3 the released stable version.

Double ck ur USB settings saved from before.

@TimS: yes sir I did all that before few days ago

and the ONLY way to disable username+password login for Makerverse (which is another very bad problematic part of Makerverse) is to use release V 1.1.5

so sadly I am in the middle of multiple issues with no apparent way out of this mess

I believe I may need to examine alternatives to Makerverse software. Any suggestions?

With the M2, I donā€™t think webcontrol or groundcontrol will work.

Can you revert back to a more stable version of makerverse?

Get a mega and use webcontrolā€¦ Last mega I bought was $15. Not sure what the shields are going for these days.

@TimS: thank you for your response and kindness to try and help

I could revert to previous version of Makerverse which is V 1.1.3
BUTā€¦the instructions to disable the username+password requirements to log into Makerverse 1.1.3 donā€™t work on V 1.1.3 (I tried)ā€¦and I am not sure why but I am having unbelievably awful experiences trying to log into Makerverse to begin a cutting sessionā€¦I am having to log in sometimes 10-20 times and then when I finally get logged in usually involving power cycling entire computer multiple times, then it gets worse and although I am unable to FINALLY log into Makerverse then COM4 port isnā€™t working and that is the ONLY port that will connect to the M2 CNC Machineā€¦so then I have to power cycle the entire computer again, and sometimes a few times

so the entire log in process for Makerverse seems to have a gigantic glitch on V 1.1.3 so our friend OROB suggested to disable the username+password requirements by editing the computer code of Makerverse to be able to log in as GUESTā€¦but that computer code only seemed to work with V 1.1.5 so I updated the Makerverse from V 1.1.3 to V 1.1.5 and then I was finally able to disable the username+password log in process WHICH HELPED IMMENSELY!

but the G-Code file disappearing from Makerverse once logged in during cutting session problem STILL persists and I have implemented your previous suggestionsā€¦additionally, the COM4 port sometimes crashes and stops working requiring me to power cycle the entire WIN10 computer sometimes a few times

then I have the problem that after various G-code file loss during cutting session, Makerverse seems to forget itā€™s calibration and then I need to fully calibrate this whole thing againā€¦and againā€¦and againā€¦I have fully calibrated numerous times this week. Not good.

I will be the first to admit that Bill Gates and his Windows software computers were never meant to run CNC machines but that is the computer I have to use. Should I be looking at a different computer? Should I be using a LINUX software computer? The reliability of Makerverse using Win10 is awful frankly unacceptable.

So I need to do something hereā€¦thoughts?

If you have another comp available it wouldnā€™t hurt. Iā€™m running Linux on a laptop from 2010ish and doing fine (with webcontrol).

can the M2 work with webcontrol?

I know the M2 can work with Linux (and I am probably going to go this route as I have nothing to lose except more time and brain cells ha) but will the M2 work with Webcontrol also?

Makerverse interface is fine and I understand and am experienced with calibration using that interface but the login and stability of Makerverse is very poor from my experiences thus far over the last year

thank you, if you are using that and having solid reliability then I want to try that. As your time allows, can you show me on the internet what I need to purchase for my M2 and Win10 computer? To be honest, I am not familiar with what a ā€œmegaā€ is exactly, I assume some form of arduino control board like what I would buy at microcenter?

will the m2 motor control shield work on the mega? are they the same motors?

(as you can tell, Iā€™m a bit unsure exactly what the m2 is)

David Lang

Same motor, but shield does not work to my knowledge. It would be a full controller and shield swap.

Yes, the Mega is an Arduino control board, which you could probably find at Microcenter. The issue after that is finding the right motor control shield that would work with the Maslow. Iā€™m not 100% on what that would be or where you could get just the control shield. You could also spring for this: EBS Control Board 2022 ā€“ EastBaySource. This is the full Mega+Control shield combo that EastBaySource sells. I just looked on MakerMadeā€™s site and it appears they no longer sell the Mega board individually. It is what is sold with their ā€œClassicā€ Kits, so you could maybe reach out to see if they could sell you one as well and figure out their price. Lastly, someone here on the forums may be selling one, so check the for sale section (I forget what it is actually called), and you may have some luck there.

Edit: Check out Swap Meet category here on the forums. That is what I was trying to think of for the for sale area.

thank you all for your kindness to give suggestions and advice. My first inclination is to try another Windows computer to see if the problem gets resolved, and my second inclination is to build a LINUX computer if the Windows computers simply wonā€™t work and be reliable.

I am not highly inclined to modify the M2 CNC Machine to a new different control board because then I will be in the realm of ā€œexperimentalā€ and reduce my knowledge base of people who can help me.

I will try another computer next and re-calibrate again and report back. I expect to do this next week at some point

1 Like