Maslow #29 BuildLog

Are you using the 3D printed belt guide?

I didnā€™t know there was a 3D printed guide, next print to queue up lol! It happened after a cut. There is a small bit of that belt that is damaged due to pinching. I think that damage was enough to cause it to move further up when wrapping.

Upgraded to 0.72 release and ran calibration. Fitness did go down Fitness: 0.5031956445800344 prior was 0.5202566613402789 Here is the log.
Maslow0.72.txt (19.2 KB)

1 Like

Was there anything funky going on like too much slack in that belt? Under tension I wouldnā€™t expect them to migrate like that

I think I still have too much length to it. Coiled it extends out past the gears.

1 Like

The 3D printed belt guard latest version is V8 and its listed in the 3D parts thread. ps I had to enlarge the scale in all three axis and print at 102% to ensure the guard didnt introduce any friction to any moving parts but my printer may be out of calibration etc.

1 Like

Iā€™m still seeing a little too much slack on my belts too which I wasnā€™t before switching over the calibration process to the new system. Iā€™m digging into it right now.

Specifically Iā€™m seeing it on the top left and bottom right belts which is making me think itā€™s z-axis height related since those are the highest ones

Going back to the config values that gave me the 0.52 fitness score here is a 750mm diagonal move bottom left. The top right belt is really slack.

For the lack of a better word F*** Iā€™m done for the day. Iā€™m not spending another hour pulling this thing apart and putting it back together till I get some belt guards printed.

This happened after jogging around and then setting to comply, retracting, extending, and clicking apply tension.

Serial Messages
[MSG:INFO: Channel auto report interval set to 50 ms]
[GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M5 M9 T0 F0 S0]
[MSG:INFO: Set to comply]
[MSG:INFO: Retracting all belts]
[MSG:INFO: Top Right pulled tight with offset -2163.235]
[MSG:INFO: Bottom Left pulled tight with offset -2139.540]
[MSG:INFO: Top Left pulled tight with offset -2125.240]
[MSG:INFO: Bottom Right pulled tight with offset -2164.781]
[MSG:INFO: Extending all belts]
[MSG:INFO: All belts extended to center position]
[MSG:INFO: Measured waypoint 0]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.053 TR: -0.022 BL: -6.218 BR: -9.529]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation: TL: 0.053 TR: -0.022 BL: -6.218 BR: -9.529]
[MSG:INFO: Center point deviation within 15.000mm, your coordinate system is accurate]
[MSG:INFO: Set to comply]
[MSG:INFO: Bottom Left pulled tight with offset -1.342]
[MSG:INFO: Top Left pulled tight with offset 0.043]
[MSG:INFO: Bottom Right pulled tight with offset 0.021]
[MSG:INFO: Top Right pulled tight with offset 0.032]
[MSG:INFO: Top Right pulled tight with offset -0.032]
[MSG:INFO: Top Left pulled tight with offset -0.032]
[MSG:INFO: Bottom Left pulled tight with offset -0.183]
[MSG:INFO: Bottom Right pulled tight with offset -0.021]
[MSG:INFO: Extending all belts]
[MSG:INFO: All belts extended to center position]
[MSG:ERR: Motor current on Bottom Left axis exceeded threshold of 4000]
[MSG:ERR: Motor current on Bottom Left axis exceeded threshold of 4000]

Edit: Itā€™s always the south east arm from top view or second arm from the top.

1 Like

Hey were do you change the allowable deviation on the belts. I am struggling with tl and br not being in range. I notice your deviation allowable is 15mm
Thanks

1 Like

No clue, I think that is a firmware setting.

44:58 laterā€¦ Back in operating status. I had to do a full belt replacement on this one as there wasnā€™t enough length left to just cut the busted section. I have one spare belt left.

2 Likes

Okay back in action. I donā€™t know if anyone will find this useful, but I generated 4 files to move Maslow to where the four corners of a USA standard plywood sheet would end up relative to the center working area. I then jogged the machine Z up 50mm and used some chalk to mark the location. Moving the Z back down and sending the next fileā€¦ so on and so forth. Then, marked it with permanent marker afterwards. The dots matched up so thatā€™s good.

Bottom Right.nc (414 Bytes)
Top Right.nc (410 Bytes)
Top Left.nc (410 Bytes)
Bottom Left.nc (414 Bytes)

2 Likes

I downloaded @fireslayer26 V8 model and queued up the print in ABS with PETG for an interface layer. Thank you for this!

3 Likes

Even with the belt guards, I find itā€™s best to guide the belts along the reels when they are full with extension and retraction operations. Otherwise they can still slip and overlap themselves.

2 Likes

Think I found a bug @bar. The motor current error happened during a file run. However the machine just kept on trudging ending up where it shouldnā€™t have been. Oddly enough this was the last pass and it was halfway finished.

1 Like

Interesting. Was your bottom right belt really tight? This is the same symptom I have had in my failed cuts, but your log has a clue mine didnā€™tā€¦

@bar looking at ā€œReset during file job at line:ā€ā€¦ Given that this comes as a result of the allChannels.stopJob() I added, I suspect that the Maslow.cpp stopMotors() is actually not stopping motors, as this is called before we call stopJob. I donā€™t know enough about Motor.cpp yet to guess why, but that is my thought.

2 Likes

It seemed fairly normal compared to how it had been running all day. I did receive a bottom right 4,000 threshold on pull tight after expand one time today.

I did put 4 of the belt guards in, and at one point it saved my belts for sure. That situation arose when I expanded the belts, but hadnā€™t taken slack to adjust the Z offset from a hard power pull.

1 Like

I have a Maslow 4 on the way.
Frank love your cabinet!
Couple quick ?

Where can I find the ideal dog joint creation specs?
Frank brought up a comment he should have done it differently.

Has the firmware been updated to address this?

If so I assume it may be a good idea to get the appropriate belt guards anyway. Is there a place I can purchase the latest/best already printed (in US) my 3D printer is down.

Thx!
Geo

Itā€™s trial and error. Every machine will have its own deviation in tolerances.

Here is a good read: Introduction | Design into 3D

I believe the model author for the belt guards has them posted on Etsy. I would ask for you to support them directly otherwise I can print a set of he/she is no longer selling.

1 Like

Oh ok great. Iā€™ll look for theirs on Etsy.

Iā€™m pretty familiar with 3D design (Fusion360, Shapr3D etc.).
But not with CNC so Iā€™ll check it out.

Thx!
Geo

1 Like