Maslow #29 BuildLog

Did you expect the cut to not be parallel with the sheet borders ?
5 hours seems a lot, I was not expecting this kind of cuts to take so long.

Oh I didn’t measure, I just jogged and saw it would all fit the way it sat. I should mark the floor where it needs to go. As for time, the code could be way more optimized. @bar said he runs his around 70in (1800mm)/min. I was at 40/min with an 1/8" step down. In fusion I should have selected the group by island to do each piece fully and then move on. Instead there was a lot of travel going on.

3 Likes

Pretty close to fitting together once the tabs were cut off. There were a few spots I had to shave a bit off with hand chisels and a router. Not quite done yet, but calling it for the night. Overall pretty impressed.

The two take aways I have are to make the dog holes bigger, 0.26" on tangent is too close, and make some sort of extension system to go around the plywood when cutting so close to the edge.

7 Likes

This is beautiful! :heart_eyes:

Phenomenal work.

What is it going to be?

I have a bunch of these suitcase size cases that lock and can be moved around for organizing parts. The cabinet will get some wheels and drawers attached to flat plywood. I’ll then 3d print some retainers for the suitcases and screw them in. That way I can slide one out, open it, and then get what I need without having to remove it. The option to pull the whole suitcase and bring it to my work area is also there. The recess in the back is to hold some bricks to avoid tipping over if that top suitcase ends up being too heavy.

I did have one question as I wanted to do a tool change down to an 1/8" endmill to mark the pilots for my drawer slides, but wasn’t sure about that process with Maslow. Do you have to retract all, extend all? Does that mean when you take slack it always returns dead center? IDK for those reasons I opted to just pre-drill and screw by hand.

2 Likes

It should and that should work, but also you don’t have to. I would just raise the z-axis all the way up and swap out the router bit.

It might be nice to have two separate gcode files one for each tool though to make it easy.

Is there decent visibility in M4 design to see the end of toolhead when attempting to jog to align to workpeice feature?

I don’t think so, accurately. I suppose you can get “close”. I prefer flipping Maslow over to change the bit and then use the collet wrench flat across the gap on the sled to get an accurate zero.

2 Likes

I was considering something like this for helping get visibility into tool end:

https://a.co/d/7kUWzsX

I think that this is a brilliant idea

That is a great idea! One note about these kind of device. Some of them cannot take photos/videos, so read the description carefully before ordering if that is important to you.

1 Like

Quite a bit of sanding done and first coat of finish. I included a close up of the “chatter” at 40"/min (0.125" doc) I achieved. To me it’s probably acceptable for this type of machine. Things mostly fit, which is impressive considering there isn’t a $5,000+ price tag! I think with a better calibration this could be greatly improved. The non-lead belts didn’t maintain the same tightness which caused the chatter. To be fair this was a 3D adaptive used as a finishing, which is great at exaggerating the stiffness deficiencies.

6 Likes

In the past when we saw that sort of thing, it was due to the machine not moving
smoothly. watch the arms and see if they are rotating smoothly as the machine
moves, or if they are moving in small jerks.

David Lang

Frank Wiebenga wrote:

1 Like

@Frank_Wiebenga did you wax your sled? That might help with the chatter a bit.

1 Like

Yeah the arms moved pretty smoothly, waxing the sled would probably help the most. @jwolter I’m going to try that, I’ve got some snowboarding wax I can put down. Like I said I think it’s mostly due to uneven pressure between the 4 belts.

1 Like

Got it completed and of course it’s on wheels to move around my shop.

4 Likes

It looks like it might be time to get the project of the week contest up and running soon :smiley:…it looks fantastic!

3 Likes

Haha thanks. I’ve got to take some time off from woodworking and get back to welding the wheel wells on my camper, lol. I just get distracted too easily.

1 Like

Errrrr i happened again

1 Like

What where the circumstances where it happened?