Maslow 4 auto speed control?

New member… excited for the 4! Nice work guys.

I’ve read a bit about the XY speed of previous models and how the 4 will be faster. I’ve also seen a bit of chatter regarding optimum router RPMs vs XY speed depending on the depth of cut, bit and materials used, etc. Building on the (awesome) idea of auto-calibration, has any consideration been given to having the Maslow auto calibrate or adjust the XY speed?

For example, use a digital tachometer (or whatever the part would be called) capable of ‘reading’ the RPMs of the router’s bit. Before the router plunges, the control board could calibrate based on the unencumbered RPMs of the router. When cutting it could lower the XY speed if it encounters cutting resistance (measured by a lowering of RPMs) or speed up the XY if RPMs are holding steady. Of course, I’m oversimplifying but just an idea from the new guy.

1 Like

The recommended DeWalt DWP611 router has automatic speed control built in, from their site “Soft-starting motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the cut”.

The Makita RT0701C router, which is being discussed as an alternate (I have two on other CNC routers), does the same. At the kind of speeds the Maslow 4 will be moving (roughly 80 ipm/2000mmpm) the router will typically be run at the lower end of it’s speed range to reduce burning and keep it’s chipload higher. Using a feed and speed calculator for a similar speed BobsCNC router (I have their Revolution) they recommend the lowest dial setting for 117ipm (3m/minute, faster than a Maslow) 1/4" two flute (a typical router bit) cutting in hardwood with an asterisk that says it’s still spinning somewhat to fast. My Revo will cut that fast in soft (which isn’t that soft) maple at that speed, although I usually dial it down to 2m/m so I can stop it (old guy reaction times) when I screw up. I do use higher rpms with smaller bits, have a lot of 1/8" endmills in my collection that I run at higher speeds and usually adjust the dial until they look and sound “right”.

F&S (feed rate is how fast it moves, speed is the spindle RPM) calculators can be somewhat handy, although they’re usually intended for industrial machines with lots of power and rigidity, so for us they’re more of a suggestion for experimentation. I wouldn’t rule out your approach but have never used it, and only measured the speed on slower and smaller machines like 3018s and my original 6x8 inch (150x200mm) Zenbot Mini

1 Like