Maslow 4 Linear Rod length

Quick question for Bar:

I’m working on assembling my kit and noticed that neither one of my linear rods have a square cut on one of the ends. I can take pictures or measurements if that would help.

I have a metal lathe out in the shop so it is not that big of a deal for me to clean the cut ends up. Even a minute or so with a grinder would probably do fine. Before I do that, my question is how long should these rods be? When I picked up my kit (awesome to meet you by the way), you mentioned that I could shorten the linear rods by half a mm (or about 0.020 inch), but I would prefer to work to an actual dimension.

Thanks!

I agree, that is a part that I’d like to revisit the manufacturing of. The spec for that part is 210mm in length. If during clean up it ended up as 209 I think it would still work correctly.

If you have any issues with it getting too short, let us know and we’ll send you a replacement.

As it turns out, mine were both a touch over 212 mm at their longest. I cleaned them up to just under 210 mm to the best of my ability to measure things.

If anyone follows in my footsteps be aware that the steel is plenty hard, I chipped an insert when my first cut was too aggressive. A lighter pass produced nice curly chips. After finishing up on the lathe, I cleaned things up with the belt grinder.

Now - to finish the build.

1 Like

I have a similar issue. My kit was damaged in shipping, and one of the linear rods managed to escape. I got the replacement in yesterday, and I noticed the new rod is slightly longer. The first one I got measures about 211 mm, the second measures about 212.

Is that likely to cause an issue with the sled assembly? I’m not sure I trust myself (or my tools) to shave 1-2 mm off of a hardened steel rod. If it looks like it will cause an issue I may just cut some shims to put under the support risers.

Thanks,
Russ

1 Like

I had the same problem. The very last part where you screw the linear rod supports down, tap gap was too big. I tried carefully by tensioning it slowly but the whole bottom started warping, so i decided to take it apart to see if I had pushed the rods down far enough. Turns out one was not completely flat on one side and both were about 212 mm instead of the 210mm mentioned here. Thanks for the measurement, with the 2mm gone there will still be a nice small gap but that should be fine. Would have liked it if the length inaccuracy possibility was mentioned in the assembly instructions, then I could have done it before I even started building.

1 Like

To follow up on this, mine went together perfectly with the linear rods cut down to 210 mm.

1 Like