Maslow Mark II - 3D

look up MPCNC and lowrider 2 CNC they are cheap ways to make a CNC with cheap
rails and printed components

accurate rotory enocders are cheap, when looking for distance encoders, watch
out for the error, a 0.1% error sounds great, until you think about measuring
over a couple thousand MM and looking for <.5mm of error.

David Lang

YAHOOOO!!!
Part arrived! Thank you Aymeric! What a joy - it signifies community strength in global village and power of technology: something design in one part of the world can be manufactured/printed in another.
I am amazed by quality of the print: take a look on my PLA print and compare with Aymeric’s nylon with carbon fibre:

Replacing part took 5minutes and part fits like a glove

My Maslow is ready for action! I am planning to restore sailing boat over winter months. There will be a lot of plywood cutting. I also will replace daggerboard and rudder so 3D machining will be required - good test how Maslow will cope with shallow 3D and 2.5D operations.
Once more - big Thank You Aymeric - I own you big!

4 Likes

I am happy I could help…luckily shipping was free due to a glitch in the US postal system.

1 Like

I’m finally getting around to getting parts printed for this and I wanted to confirm that a “kit” would be:
pilaSupport - Quantity 4
xyBracketLeft - Quantity 2
xyBracketRight - Quantity 2

In addition, I’m using an online 3d printing service that offers a pretty broad range of materials: Based on previous discussion, I’m tempted to go with Polycarbonate as it seems to be the strongest among the choices… I’m open to other suggestions…

1 Like

You are correct - good luck! Let me know how it turned out.
Cheers
Tomasz

Which service did you end up using? I’m in the middle of both an SLS 3D print projtect and an aluminum CNC milling project with Xometry to try them out. I’ll be posting some photos in the next few days on this thread: 3D Prints for those of us without 3D Printers - Xometry Review

-Jeff

1 Like

Has anyone pursued this design yet? I am hoping to weld up a frame in the next week. Would love to hear if this works or not as it would be far simpler and more accurate.

1 Like

We converted ours, though it’s a work-in-progress. I’ll try to get some pictures of our setup.

1 Like

Hi,
you have video?

What are the measurements of the carriage? Are you still doing the Maslow chains and sled or are you starting to convert towards a Cartesian setup with the sled traveling up and down the carriage and then back and forth across the field?

Would love to see photos and get some details of your build.

I have been working on building the frame for my attempt at building a Maslow Mark II and panel saw combo. It has an overall dimension of 12’ X 7’ which is a little larger than probably needed, but it provides some flexibility on what I can cut. I should be able to cut a full 5’X10’ sheet using the more cartesian focused gantry and sled as was depicted above by jwolter.

I have designed new top and bottom brackets and can post those if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

Here are some images from a fun night welding up the frame in my shop. 2" cold rolled steel for the overall frame and 1" square tubing for the gantry. Sled will be produced tonight so hopefully I will have a “rolling chassis” this weekend.

Much work to do to get the drive mechanisms designed, mounted and functional, but progress none the less.

5 Likes

Way to go @MakerMatt !!! Welded frame looks simpler and stiffer. I love your design of raised brackets - looks that you’ve gained good 50mm in z-axis. Will you use tube to hold gantry together? I do not quite understand function of the bracket depicted in first picture ;-((
I am keeping my finger crossed for you - keep us posted
Tomasz

The gantry is already welded up as a rectangle which is a little hard to see in the photo, but I didnt represent this in the assembly yet in Fusion. The gantry, right now is 7’ X 2’, might be a little large but I can always cut and reweld if needed. I wanted the room to be able to have a sled/carriage that will adapt to either the router or a Festool track saw so it can be used as a CNC panel saw as well for efficient straight cuts.

I used 1/8" wall steel tubing which was an expensive overkill, but it is damn rigid if not anything else. I will mount some planed down 2x4x10’s across the width of the frame and then a 1/2" 5X10’ MDF spoil board on that. With the bracket design I should still have the ability to work with up to 1.5" thick material that is up to 5’x10’.

oh and the top image is actually the bottom bracket/guide that will run along the bottom tube of the frame. It has a depth adjustment that is an experiment right now which will hopefully enable me to dial in the gantry to be fairly accurately parallel to the spoil board.

thank you for posting your 3D files, I would love to get the source files from Fusion if possible so I can get the history which will make it easier to modify. For some reason when I brought it into Fusion none of the history came with.

I used the sled brackets that you designed with some modifications for the 1X1" tubing that I used for my gantry. Was pretty simple to shorten the bracket and move the guide bearing down a bit. I will let you know how it works out.

2 Likes

Sorry Matt but I have quite a mess in my projects - some are with history, some without and parts are in several projects. I was learning Fusion when I was designing sled. Now I know much better how to have discipline in creating parts-components-bodies ( I even played with parametric design - what a pain )

Now I see - cool

Just a thought - You will have to mount motors quite far from frame plane. Think it through ;-))