Maslow Mark II - 3D

If the bend is consistent (rigid) then I wonder how hard it would be to compensate in software.

Iā€™m new to the community and trying to start off in the best way possible so I donā€™t have to come back and upgrade things later. This is definitely the best frame Iā€™ve seen, great job. Iā€™ve pulled pieces here and there from this thread, but still donā€™t have a great grasp on what I need to purchase and how to set it all up. Is there a document somewhere that covers all this? Thank you!

1 Like

Sorry tbhbennetts but I do not have a comprehensive documentation. All bit and pieces and dimensions are provided in GitHub and reference at the top. Part of fun of building is solve little problems by yourself.
Good luck and thank you for kind words
Tomasz

I like this idea, and Iā€™m considering doing a vertical, or space saving, CNC of some sort. My question is, if I were going to go through the effort of making a gantry, why wouldnā€™t I just use a traditional drive mechanism instead of the Maslow?

Traditional drive systems use steppers. No power and they lose position. The Maslow chain system driven by worm geared servo motors (encoder dc motors , not hobby servos) do not move when powered off, donā€™t need to be homed each power cycle. All the electronics for the other systems use steppers drivers. That is probably the biggest why, but the Maslow is subject to gravity and chains donā€™t push. So a gantry Maslow would ideally give you both benefits and you lose the face touch of the sled. Which is good.

Yes, if you use a gantry, you should use a traditional layout, not a pair of
motors in the corners

you can get servos to drive things (and thatā€™s commonly whatā€™s used on large
CNCs), they emulate steppers so you can use standard controllers, but they are
substantially more expensive.

nowdays, I would look at brushless DC motors with encoders using something like
simpleFOC for software on the control boards.