Metal Maslow kit $600 ships Nov. Respond below if interested

Ordered last Monday, received last Wednesday. It arrived way quicker than I had anticipated, and even under lockdown the kids don’t let me get as much time in the garage as I’d like… But it’s up! And it’s a very nice kit, though it definitely requires some forums searching to piece together the instructions. I was fortunate enough to find this thread had been created recently and it helped as well- Metal-Maslow Kit Owner Tips and Tricks

Thank you @Metalmaslow for getting this out to me so quickly and for making such a nice kit to jump in to the current gen of Maslow pretty easily! Once I got the frame built I was able to get up and running (in calibration, at least :stuck_out_tongue: ) with the kit in about an hour. For someone who has failed miserably at assembling a pretty standard 3d printer kit that’s actually quite amazing, lol!

4 Likes

Hoping to built my frame this weekend. Have all the parts working except missing motor cable which I’m hoping is on the way. :slight_smile: Figured out all the electronics, using WebControl as everything fits in the enclosure provided in the kit. Looks like you used a 2x6x12. My buddy has a 2x8x12 I’m going to use. Dreading going to Lowes/Home Depot right now, it’s a mess there. I have most everything here for frame. I’m thinking about using the dust chute channel, let me know what you think. Right now I don’t have it installed, one of the small holes didn’t line up but no big deal, just put it together temporarily (without Locktite) until I make frame and fully test. This really seems to be a nice kit.

Yeah, I used a 2x6. It looked straight but once I got it up and was staring at it from my ladder I noticed it has some real bendiness to it. And even the 2x6 flexes a bit on the ends when it’s running. I’ll need to add some diagonal bracing soon, but the cuts have been pretty accurate thus far. Anyways, a 2x8 would be a good improvement.

The dust chute fits fine on mine. It definitely raises the center of gravity a tad but it hasn’t affected the cuts as far as I can tell. It was only noticeable when I had the top bar offset too much from the work plane but after correcting that the sled sits flat and seems stable over the whole sheet.

Hi,

i came up with this solution to not have to raise the Ridgid router and not to loose cutting depth. Its a modified version of an adapter available on thingieverse. Dimensions are changed and the window has been moved from the top side to the left side.

1 Like

that looks good. the routter clamps we are making now are not as tall so more Z axis movement is allowed. you could cut down the clamp using a hack saw if you wanted.

Not more than the radius of the bit “they say”? I can get decent cuts plunging 6mm ~ 1/4 inch with a good carbide double flute downcut 1/4 inch.

My wife ordered the metal maslow kit for me for Christmas (she’s a keeper) but it’s missing the gears/belt for the z-axis. Anyone know where I can order replacement parts? I’ve already emailed the team, but they’re not able to get back to me.

@Metalmaslow is usually pretty responsive. I would expect them to send you the missing parts.

Paging @Metalmaslow, this is Jason Smith per the email I sent the issue I’ve got is the missing z-axis gears and belt.

Google Photos

Pictured are the two gears that I now know are replacements for the top mount motors internal gearing. I don’t have what’s pictured in the assembly guide, or anything that looks like it might replace it.

I don’t mind ordering these things myself, and tried ordering what I thought might work only to find that they were way oversized for the space.

1 Like

/shrug. Ah well, anyone else know what I should be looking for?

Hi,

anyone knows what the exact version of the arduino clone is which usually ships with the metal maslow kit?

cheers…

I can run out to the shop in a bit and check. I got my kit back in November.

I feel your pain. I had a few different parts missing from mine and it took a month and a half and an unnecessary email to @Metalmaslow letting him know how I felt about him taking people’s hard-earned money and then ghosting them for a month. I was met with a “life is difficult and I’m focused on other things” email, a promise to send my parts the next day, followed by another week delay before they actually ended up in the mail stream. Not the best way to run a business if you ask me.

I am not 100% sure on the gears, but I do know there is a part number on my z-belt. I will get that and maybe that can help you find some of what you are needing.

1 Like

Looks like the belt is a 142-2GT. That comes out to a 142mm length GT2 style belt that measures 6mm wide with my calipers. The gears are 16mm OD, 5.95mm ID, with 20 teeth per gear. (The ID of the second gear looks to be drilled out by hand bigger to fit the z-axis lead screw). Hopefully this will get you going in the right direction!

2 Likes

Looks like my kit included the Keyestudio Mega 2560 board, around $15 USD on amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/KEYESTUDIO-Mega-Board-Arduino-Cable/dp/B016JWNYBE

2 Likes

I’m in exactly the same boat, and my email to the team was along the lines of “I know that this is a DIY project, but at the very least a parts list that I can check against would have prevented hours of spinning in place”

It seems like every kit I see is bespoke, so /shrug

Thanks loads for the measurements and specs on the gears and belts. I’ll get some stuff ordered and see what works.

1 Like

Well this answers a lot. Kahn (Metalmaslow) was very nice and offered an unpopulated 5206 PCB I needed back in November. I followed up in December and he was going to mail it to me “Monday”. Still no response. Messaged in January… So I think he is MIA.

I can’t feel bad because I wasn’t paying him.

If anyone has extra blank 5206 boards let me know. I have access to both to the through hole and surface mount chips. I actually have everything else all the motors chains etc.

I guess if I have to, I can just wire everything up on a perf board.

thanks

Max

If you are up for a bit of a challenge you can have some boards made for about $10 from https://jlcpcb.com . The open source designs are available here:

http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/TLE5206-PowerControl-Boards.html

What you will need to do is download the files there and then open them using the program Eagle. From Eagle you can export the Gerber files to upload to https://jlcpcb.com/

It’s kind of a neat experience and not expensive, but it will probably end up taking an hour or to of fussing around, probably faster than perf board and it will be more reliable. I’m happy to help.

Thanks, Making my own PCB has always been on my list, just haven’t had time to DL all the apps and learn how to do things right.

I’ve even got set up to do surface mount. I have a hot air station (cheap but works) and all the fluxes, solder paste etc.

Has anyone ever created a master list of what parts we should get and what they are? I still haven’t been able to get passed a basic motor running test and I feel like every step forward I find out I’m missing something that requires a complete disassemble. I’m trying to use this to create pieces for our business and when I hit a roadblock I get pulled in a different direction and have to start my forum digging all over again. I’ve had my unit for over 5 months and really nothing to show for it.