Metal-Maslow Kit Owner Tips and Tricks

Just to be clear, so you did install the latest raspbian and then “git clone” the latest release of WebControl from github?!

With groundcontrol i had severe problemes because it depends an long time outdated libraries.

There are several ways to make webcontrol work and install webcontrol:

1. Install raspian ( buster is latest right now) go to GitHub and download madgrizzles’ latest release for the raspberry pi single directory, make folder, tar xzcv the file and ./webcontrol runs it. This is the PY installer version which allows upgrades to be automatically applied when selected from the upgrade menu within webcontrol. (@madgrizzle: is that description correct?)

2. Run pibakery, set up your WiFi and build a custom disk image with raspian Jesse using the recipe madgrizzle provided. Flash sd card. Put as card in rpi and run. This also supports pyinstaller upgrades.

3. Development version: install raspian, install every dependent library (open CV is the most difficult, but can be done) then git the repository, make changes and run custom webcontrol code.

4. (deprecated: means no longer used) docker version where it copies itself and all needed files and updates the whole disk. This version was difficult to maintain newer updates, and is basically discontinued.

I have done all four. It helps having a few spare raspbery Pi’s. You can have and run both development and release versions on the same system but not at the same time. My maslow has a newer than release version I’m working on as well as the newest experimental release right now. You cannot flash to holey calibration from a development version because the firmware isn’t found to upload to the Arduino, one must use the release version. Other than that, you can add buttons to setting pages and do cool stuff like add new settings if you are so inclined. Below are a couple options I added in my webcontrol version:

If you want a development distro, I may be able to post a preconfigured image with some effort.

2 Likes

Hello Orob,

thank you for the offer but i am busy with tons of other topics in regard to the maslow and other “stuff”. I can happily wait until the release of the next version.

This week i need to mod my frame and mod my metal maslow sled setup with a 3D printed vacuum adapter and this iron “pins” for mounting the linkage. I hope all will fit together and work like planed.

1 Like

Hello,

i did successfully connect my IOT relay to AUX1 using Webcontrol. I unluckily could not get the relay coming with the metal-maslow kit to work. Probably wrong cabling.

Copy from other thread:
I did measure the AUX1 on the motor controler board (TLE5206) coming with metal maslow today.

The boards AUX1 port works correctly with M3 (start spindle) / M5 (stop spindle) commands. When configuring spindle control for “relay_high” 5V are on after M3 is issued/withdrawn after M5 is issued. When using “relay_low” 5V are “always” on and when “M3” is issued it goes to 0V. After M5 the 5V come back. I tested with “WebControl” but it should work the same with ground control.

1 Like

Hello,

here are the results of my metal-maslow sled modification. I did create full metal linkage holders like documented in my posting “above” and modified a maslow vacuum adapter 3D print to match my setup.

Heres the STL file for the vacuum adapter:
vacuum_adapter_connectorinside_32x5mm_v6.stl (3.5 MB)

4 Likes

Thank you Arnd! I will be printing and installing this very soon, hats off to you for sticking to it and making the missing piece (for my setup anyway). I am very happy!

Jason

Hi,

you might want to reduce the window size and also widen the diameter of the tube. I had a hard time getting a decent hose here in indonesia and ended up with a relativly thin one.

1 Like

Where in Indonesia are you?

SW Bali, close to Canggu.

1 Like

Very cool, that’s a wonderful spot

Whats the total height of the chain attachment point? Are you still using this solution? What is your workspace angle and motor position?

Just so the info is here as well, i m now using the recommended solution pictured below. Chain attachmnt point is 3" above top of sled, 3.5" above work piece, Frame angle is 15 degrees, sled weight is 26 lbs. I used the standard 7" spacer to push my motors out about 5.5" in front of the vertical support or the top bar. See pics, I also added some strength to this area beoynd the stock frame.

Has anyone been able to apply changes to the settings of Makerverse for the metal maslow?

Is there one you are concerned about?

I have the linkage setup on the metal maslow. The Makerverse kinematics show a rotational radius, and a weight of sled. There doesn’t appear to be any way to change those settings. -on a side note, I did order the new metal maslow sled and will have the ring installed on it once it arrives so the rotational radius is a temporary problem, but the weight of the sled is still an odd choice not to be editable.

1 Like

And the Z axis pitch must be in there I assume

My Z axis appears to be flipped. Down is up and up is down. In WC I was able to set the pitch to a negative value to fix this

NM, the build that I was running was out of date. The newest beta 1.1.1 - f seems to give me the ability to edit the settings.

measure from the bit out to the chain connection point and that is your rotational radius (in mm)

Does anyone know where the cooling fan wires up to on the board?