The title says it all! I am looking for input from the community to create a device that:
- Holds multiple pens, pencils, markers, etc (4 would be ideal).
- Adjusts easily to hold different size writing/drawing implements
- Allows easy centering/positioning of the pen
- Is able to swap/change from one pen to another automatically (ideally without additional motors/servos, electronics)
- Moves up/down using the Z-axis
- Is robust enough to draw on plywood
- Is cheap/easy to print/build
There are some nice single-pen holders on this forum including: krkeegan, Matt Nelson, Sharpsburg_Woodworke. Elsewhere there are commercial or 3D printed ones such as: Rock Cliff Machine, Kronos Robotics, Widget Works, and many others.
As far as I can tell, none of the devices hold more than one pen let alone switch pens automatically! Here are my initial thoughts:
- Attach holder to router chuck
a. Allows quick/easy attachment/removal
b. Doesn’t change weight of sled
- If we use holder similar to this:
but “mirror” the holder to hold 4 pens (90 degrees apart) AND use retractable pens like these Sharpies:
- There could be a mechanism that, when the Z-axis goes up, the pen gets clicked closed and the device is rotated 90 degrees and the next pen is clicked open.
I am confident that there is a way to make this work! I’d love to hear from y’all