New Look for Ground Control

It looks great, but is it possible to tone down or invert the colors on Run, pause, stop? For me, it looks a bit disturbing to the eyes when working on other tasks.
Light background is my first choice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m liking this one!

2 Likes

Bar,
As noted I feel the white background with the black tool path is crisper. However we all have our preferences. Why can’t we just have a settings tab where we can choose either from within ground control.

Stuart

1 Like

Oh, we’re absolutely going to have both options. I was just looking for feedback on each of the options :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for that Bar. Really loving this project. Great work.

Kind Regards Stuart

1 Like

Would it be possible to pick the theme from the command line?
Then we could make launch buttons for the themes.

Say 2 different people need to work with the same machine, one prefers dark the other light.

then there can be a .desktop launcher for both themes, so that both users can have theme at launch. (without having to meddle in settings)

Just close GC and launch it again with the other button. And ready to go…

or from the commandline:

cd ~/Groundcontrol/
sudo python main.py -lighttheme

Also the name main.py may eventually be better as groundcontrol.py or gc.py?

I hope GC soon will have a .deb installer or a ppa

The new looks for Ground Control are up for the development version of Ground Control on GitHub now and will be a part of the release next Wednesday!

Based on everyone’s feedback there is a light and a dark theme and you can switch between the two with an option in settings.

Here are some screenshots:

Keep in mind that this is just a first pass to get the infrastructure in place to allow themes. Now that we have everything set up we can make tweaks to either theme or even add more. If you have ideas about how to make these look better or if you want to create your own skin we can!

7 Likes

I love it! (dark) Thanks for taking care of the optical as well as the technical. I would love the shades of grey in relaxed blues (likely pastel). A hint on where (in Python I guess) the values are hidden? I could search for it, yes, but might be faster with a hint for a line number :wink:

2 Likes

Look in DataStructures/data.py, there are some interesting things there :slight_smile:. I haven’t tried changing them, but they were part of one of the PRs that brought color…
Or look in main.py atound line 360…

2 Likes

There is also a folder in the called Ground Control/Images/Icons which has .png files for all the buttons. Changing any of those files will change the look of the appropriate button. If you find something you like let me know and we can add a ‘Gero’ theme :wink:

5 Likes

Also there is where to change the text and line colors!

3 Likes

Thank you Friends! Let me check all of that that out. Should not be to difficult to make a script to change the values (Thursdays for me, Wednesday for you), once I have the locations in the depth of the software.
Until we can put in a html or rgb or else value, I can be happy with a click of a launcher.

1 Like

Sounds like we need to add ‘Custom’ to the ‘dark/light’ options :smile:

3 Likes

Editing the buttons .png was the fastest route :sweat_smile:

Edit1:
The black background edited in main.py line 368. It took me some time to realize that only values from 0 to 1 are valid, so if you have the rgb, to convert, divide 1 by 255 = 0.003921569 and multiply with you rgb values.
The bed outline is in /UIElements/gcodeCanvas.py at line 195.

5 Likes