šŸŒž New Stock Frame Design šŸŒž

for some reason itā€™s not letting me upload the zip files of the pdfs and svgs. here are the individual pdfs

step 1.pdf (692.4 KB)
step 2.pdf (766.5 KB)
step 3.pdf (804.5 KB)
step 4.pdf (779.7 KB)
step 5a.pdf (833.9 KB)
step 5b.pdf (803.9 KB)
step 6.pdf (775.5 KB)
step 7.pdf (747.9 KB)
step 8.pdf (827.9 KB)
step 9.pdf (794.4 KB)
step 10.pdf (823.7 KB)
step 11.pdf (808.3 KB)
step 12.pdf (773.5 KB)
step 13 adjustable maslow complete.pdf (943.3 KB)

1 Like

Iā€™ll start working on themā€¦ tomorrow.

I think we need to see how close we are in agreement before spending too much effort. do the first one or two and letā€™s see if people agree that these diagrams are good and how far we agree on the design.

I think we still have disagreement on if step 7 is two crossmembers or one and one optional (which will affect squaring in step 9)

and then step 12 is still hot disagreement as to what to do for the non-adjustable version

Consider using IMPORTANT rather than DANGER, the latter implies the possibility of physical harm, the former indicates care and attention are needed.

2 Likes

Thanks, changed in both places

1 Like

the more Iā€™m thinking of it, the more I think the answer to an all-wood top beam setup is simply to lay the beam down. With the edges of the top beam support 88 inches apart, thatā€™s only 16 inches on each side thatā€™s unsupported, not a lot of leverage for the weight of the sled to work on.

This would eliminate any need to drill the long way through a 2x4

I donā€™t think the difference is stiffness will matter, this would put the weak direction of the beam in the direction of gravity, but it would put the strong direction in the direction of the chain forces, I think itā€™s pretty much a wash.

1 Like

Laying the beam down does make it easier to construct, but the horizontal chain management arrangement needs all the space that the wide face affords. The two take-up sprockets both pull toward the center and need the tail end located out of the way.

Iā€™m having a problem editing them in inkscapeā€¦ My process is now:

1. Load pdf into inkscape and save as an svg.
  2. Load svg into Visio, edit and save as a pdf.
  3. Load original pdf and new pdf into inkscape
  4. Delete drawing elements from original pdf, leaving markers and title block
  5. Copy drawing elements from new pdf into original pdf.
  6. Save old pdf (with new drawing elements).

Doing it this way, the text stays text (rather than line segments).
Hereā€™s step 1.
step 1-b.pdf (297.5 KB)

That looks beautiful

by the way, I have no problems with you eliminating all the original text, data block in the bottom corner, and border stuff.

That is just there because itā€™s the easiest way for me to export the different views out of onshape. donā€™t put any effort into preserving that stuff it it adds any complexity to your workflow

hmm, in the cut list we have room for an extra 3.5" square block (and if we are laying the 2x4 down we could shorten the arms a couple inches to give us room for another one), would it be easiest to use that for anchoring the chain management?

also remember the idea of using weights and something to guide the weight holder behind the workpiece, that would eliminate the need to anchor the stretchy string

Can you use a more readable font?

The letters are squashed together making it difficult to read.

on the wiki page? Iā€™m not specifying any font.

on the pdf that @madgrizzle created, I saw some text with letters too close, I assumed it was due to my linux pdf reader

Also, if anyone thinks that things would be clearer if a different angle was used, let me know and Iā€™ll change it (and if some angle views arenā€™t useful, feel free to remove them)

That looks great. BTW, If you have a linux machine or the linux subsystem in Windows 10. THere are several cli PDF conversion utilities.: pdf2svg and pdftocairo

pdftocairo gets installed from the poppler-utils package and can do a number of conversion including SVG. example: pdftocairo -svg step-1.pdf step-1.svg.

If you want to convert entire directory of PDFā€™s, then do something like this from the bash shell.
for f in *.pdf; do pdftocairo -svg $f; done

thanks, I was using inkscape to do the conversion, and itā€™s converting the .pdf to a svg + a bunch of .pdg files (in the pdfā€™s I have shading turned on.

This is hat the step1-b.svg looks like using pdf2svg (pdftocairo produces an identical file except for a version number)
step%201-b

and here is a conversion based on the original pdf (this doesnā€™t create all the .png files that inkscape does but it still looses the color)

step%201
and the original pdf
step 1.pdf (692.4 KB)

interesting the the conversion lost all the text from the 1-b file

It was part of the problem with going back and forth between applicationsā€¦ Iā€™ll eliminate the border and title block and save as pdf from visio. Fontā€™s should be fine from there.

converting with inkscape keeps the text and color (but has the wierd font spacing problem) as long as I leave ā€˜embed imagesā€™ checked
step%201-b

one other thing that we should add to the instructions, while I show doing both
sides at once, any time a measurement should be done twice, the same pieces of
wood should be used each time

so in step 1, you use one blue and yellow piece, attach the block, then use the
same blue and yellow piece to position the second block.

that way it doesnā€™t matter what errors there are in the cuts, everything is
going to be the same on both sides. This is why everything references the
factory tops of the legs.

The eception to this is the rear legs and their spacers where you use the leg
for that side to position the spacer, and are referencing the bottom of the
front leg.