Orientation autodetect

@bar @ronlawrence3

Given that we have people making the horizontal/vertical mistake, can we auto-detect if we are vertical?

if we put all 4 arms in comply for a couple seconds and the machine moves, that should tell us we are vertical (and which way gravity is, in case it’s not really the ‘top’ arms on top), if we are horizontal, the weight of the belts shouldn’t change, right?

if we are under a lot of tension and horizontal the belts may move a bit to relieve tension, but only a bit.

I could be wrong about this, but it seems like we should be able to tell the difference.

1 Like

Or maybe, instead of detecting orientation detect a new yaml file…

…then a dialog box appears and the user can confirm or change orientation and any anything else that should be reconfirmed with new yaml.

1 Like

gazinux wrote:

Or maybe, instead of detecting orientation detect a new yaml file…

…then a dialog box appears and the user can confirm or change orientation and any anything else that should be reconfirmed with new yaml.

we’ve had a lot of people misunderstand horizontal vs vertical, so being able to
eliminate the question entirely has value if we can do it.

David Lang

so its clear for all, assuming a good calibration was already done, what are the actual names of all the variables that a user needs to update/copy over to the new yaml file when updating firmware?

1 Like

Seems possible to me. maybe before the “apply tension” or “calibrate” step in the initial process… I think doing this in vertical orientation could be “surprising” to a user though with the sled dropping a bit.

1 Like

gazinux wrote:

so its clear for all, assuming a good calibration was already done, what are the actual names of all the variables that a user needs to update/copy over to the new yaml file when updating firmware?

anything that starts with Maslow_

Maslow_vertical
Maslow_tlX
Maslow_tlY
Maslow_tlZ
Maslow_trX
Maslow_trY
Maslow_trZ
Maslow_blX
Maslow_blY
Maslow_blZ
Maslow_brX
Maslow_brY
Maslow_brZ
Maslow_Retract_Current_Threshold
Maslow_Calibration_Current_Threshold

there are also some ones that start maslow_ that aren’t needed after you finish
calibration

maslow_calibration_grid_width_mm_X
maslow_calibraiton_grid_height_mm_Y
maslow_calibration_grid_size

David Lang

2 Likes

Ron Lawrence wrote:

Seems possible to me. maybe before the “apply tension” or “calibrate” step in
the initial process… I think doing this in vertical orientation could be
“surprising” to a user though with the sled dropping a bit.

what about only doing the check if it’s set to be horizontal?

what happens if you are set to vertical when you aren’t. how can we detect that?

David Lang

1 Like

I think that seems like a good idea. I think I need to set myself up a smallish horizontal frame so I can experience it. I have not even seen how things behave on this at all, so Bar might have a better answer.

1 Like

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think that it could be so subtle that the user probably wouldn’t even notice

3 Likes