Pre Order and not to choose

Hello dear Maslowers :slight_smile:
I’m not feeling the new maslow pre order line…
How can I know what’s in it is for me?
Befor there was a way to choose certain things like is it US or EU psu and so on… my mind is blowing up :cold_sweat:¨

Hans.

@MakerMadeCNC should be able to answer any of your questions. I will say that I’ve been talking to them for several months now and I know that they are working with all of our same suppliers to order the parts so they are absolutely on the up and up.

3 Likes

Do you know about the tax for shipping it to Denmark? Is there not extra tax on this item?

Based on information I found here https://skat.dk/skat.aspx?oid=2245294&ik_navn=subtree
it does look like VAT will need to be paid because the price of the kit is above DKK 1,150.

The only additional cost that would be incurred if purchased during the pre-order promotion, would be the VAT itself. The carrier charges will be covered by MakerMadeCNC as promised.

1 Like

I’ve ordered in June. Customs applied 21% (Belgian tax rate) + 30 Euros for customs processing. I suspect it will be more or less the same for Denmark.
With a bit of luck it slips by customs, but I guess chances will be low.

1 Like

Okay, so I need to pay VAT myself + Maslow?
This might be dum question but is there not a way to cheat the value? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
That sounds like I need to safe up a littel bit more then.danm,

Thanks.

Hi bar my concern .are they kickstarting ? or they have already ordered the parts ? because if motors are 3 month lead time as metalmaslow said then so they wont be ready december as they are saying
thats withtouth considering chineese holidays.what will yo recommend? tied up money and hope for the best or wait for metalmaslow thats going to be ready late november?

1 Like

Got it! I know from talking to our factories directly and from talking to @MakerMadeCNC that they have already put in orders for the parts. I don’t want to talk too much about their plans without them, but I bet if you message @MakerMadeCNC they can give you more specific information about how they will pull off their shipping schedule

1 Like

They already ordered the parts, the November/December ship dates are based on
the assumption that the motors will arrive on shedule.

Chinese holidates are not the same as the US holidays, the Chinese holidays are
a couple of months later (I don’t remember exactly when)

I don’t know how much having your money ties up matters to you.

I don’t know how you value getting exactly what Bar shipped compared to the
potentially improved metal kit.

I can’t recommend, I can just point out the potential issues.

David Lang

1 Like

We ordered 1000 motors in September and have one of our guys on the ground in China to take delivery. This will speed up our process immensely and allow us to ship all international orders directly from China to avoid double taxation.

We are currently manufacturing the existing maslow kit because it is tested and functional. However, we are prototyping a metal sled and other enhancements that we expect the community will love. The physics of a metal sled aren’t as straightforward as they seem. We will be releasing some images in the coming weeks of those and are secretly hoping they will be ready on ship day as well. In the event that they are, all preorder customers will be able to add one to their order at a sizable discount.

3 Likes

more info please? we have had other people make metal sleds and didn’t seem to
have a problem, what is it that you are running in to?

David Lang

1 Like

Its not that making a metal sled doesn’t work right away. We feel that if we are going to sell metal sleds, they should offer some sort of improved performance or value add to the end user. With that in mind, we are playing with different dimension, metal types, and cut patterns to modify the weight distribution. Having as much weight below center seems like the way to go based on Bar’s original design with the bricks and the community’s enhancements. We have also tested multiple different backing solutions to try and minimize friction with the work surface. Nylon, Delrin, oil impregnated nylon, etc. We want to produce something that is worth buying and adds to the performance and utility of the machine. This is what is causing the iterations in our metal sleds.

That said, if anyone just wants a circle cut out of metal, we can do that right now :slight_smile:

Didn’t mean that last bit to sound as salty as it did. Just saying if there is a demand for plain metal sleds, we will happily produce them for anyone that wants one. We have access to a waterjet in Arkansas and have them ready pretty quickly.

2 Likes

just having the sled pre-cut and shipped to eliminate the need for the temporary
sled, the bricks, and have all the holes in exactly the right place provides a
lot of value. Evan a wood one that still required bricks would be a win.

Can you provide information about what you have experimented with and the
results of each backing type?

David Lang

3 Likes

Absolutely.

For backing materials we have tried delrin, nylon, and oil impregnated nylon. I’m not really an expert when it comes to these materials so we pretty much took the guys word at the fab shop that cut it al for us. The oil impregnated nylon seemed to be the “slipperiest” but none seemed amazing. The engineer at the fab shop has recently recommended making cuts into the nylon to reduce the surface area of the mating surfaces to try and reduce friction. We are still waiting on him to get some renderings together on that.

As far as metal options, steel was the first thought. Just cut a big circle and fine tune the thickness to achieve a desired weight. My knowledge of the metal industry is limited and that came out to be pretty expensive. At least paying a fab shop to do a custom run on a waterjet was. We cut one out of aluminum but it didn’t seem that heavy.

Currently we are toying with the idea of a steel sled with a honeycomb pattern cut out of the upper section to place most of the weight below the bit. This will be the next attempt once some time comes available on the waterjet and they finish with their new nylon design.

So far it hasn’t been as amazing as I hoped it would be. It really has just been a sled without the bricks. We have high hopes of reducing friction against the work surface but haven’t found that our attempts really gained massive performance gains.

I’ve done a poor job of documenting things with pictures, but I’ll do my best to snap a bunch when we get our next iteration in hand and share them with everyone.

5 Likes

For backing materials we have tried delrin, nylon, and oil impregnated nylon.

have you given UHMW plastic a try?
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/jgro-router-table-design/56927-delrin-vs-uhmw.html

The engineer at the fab shop has recently recommended making cuts into the
nylon to reduce the surface area of the mating surfaces to try and reduce
friction. We are still waiting on him to get some renderings together on that.

the concern there is that unless these openings are all beveled/rounded they all
become places to catch on the cuts.

As far as metal options, steel was the first thought. Just cut a big circle
and fine tune the thickness to achieve a desired weight. My knowledge of the
metal industry is limited and that came out to be pretty expensive. At least
paying a fab shop to do a custom run on a waterjet was. We cut one out of
aluminum but it didn’t seem that heavy.

how much of the cost was the custom setup vs the cut/material costs? in getting
the top mount kit cut, I’ve had price quotes from different shops vary by almost
10x for the same parts (I’m currently using http://www.mwaterjet.com/ but am
looking for other options as well)

Currently we are toying with the idea of a steel sled with a honeycomb pattern
cut out of the upper section to place most of the weight below the bit. This
will be the next attempt once some time comes available on the waterjet and
they finish with their new nylon design.

good, there does need to be something to bias the weight towards the bottom,
otherwise the sled will rotate under torque until it hits a limit and introduces
position errors.

So far it hasn’t been as amazing as I hoped it would be. It really has just
been a sled without the bricks. We have high hopes of reducing friction
against the work surface but haven’t found that our attempts really gained
massive performance gains.

As I said, shipping a pre-cut sled (even if it’s wood) would simplify the
construction significantly and probably increase accuracy as it would eliminate
construction errors.

I’ve done a poor job of documenting things with pictures, but I’ll do my best to snap a bunch when we get our next iteration in hand and share them with everyone.

looking forward to it.

David Lang

2 Likes

How much does that Z-axis mechanism weigh? That might be enough to keep the sled biased toward a central position.

1 Like

good idea, but a honey comb pattern is overlay complex, it would just make the laser cut fees high with little benefit is my guess? Just cut out big pieces of unused areas. You can even ask the laser cutter company to save the drops and use them for other purposes.

Thanks for the feedback! We have a meeting with the fabrication shop this Friday, I’ll make sure to bring this up.

the top mount kit needs less area to mount to the sled, so you can cut chunks
out of it.

It’s a balancing act between the sleds weight and not falling in to areas
already cut.

But if you have a plastic layer under the sled, you can cave large chunks out
of the metal upper layer to make things balance nicely.