Project of the Week / Community Gardener for December 19, 2018

Nominations are open for this week’s Project of the Week (PotW) and Community Gardener (CG) awards. You can nominate simply by replying to this thread. Self-nominations are allowed.

The selected project will be highlighted in the Maslow newsletter. The user will receive a “Project of the Week” or “Community Gardener” badge, tungsten carbide goodness from our friends @MakerMadeCNC, and a colorful infographic detailing how @WilliamsDad “Kicks his own starter”.

The approximate weekly schedule is: nominations open right after the previous week’s poll posts, nominations close no earlier than Saturday, voting Sunday through Wednesday, polls close automatically on Wednesday. After nominations from the community have been made, I’ll post a poll for the community to pick a winner. If we don’t get enough nominations, I will randomly select projects from previous weeks’ nominations, the back issues of the Maslow newsletter, Made on Maslow, and of course the Community Garden website to appear in a poll. Projects that don’t win in a poll can be renominated on subsequent weeks. Any project can only win once, but any person can win multiple times.

What makes a PotW? It can be a project (old or new) made on a Maslow CNC that shows off the Maslow’s capabilities, or demonstrates a new way of using the Maslow, or just plain looks cool.

What makes a Community Gardener? It can be anyone who creates or contributes to a project on the Community Garden website (http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/). By posting to the CG, you make the project available to the community and you create the opportunity for other users to improve on your design. Vote however you like, but I hope to encourage collaborative projects.

Final note: like most things here on the forums, the community is what makes PotW/CG successful. Suggestions for improving the PotW/CG and volunteers to help run the thread are always welcome.

1 Like

4 Likes
1 Like

I posted some progress pics a few weeks ago, but I finally finished the 16’ tall Nativity.

Here are a couple of pictures:

15 Likes

That design and execution is phenomenal. Thank you for submitting.
Great work! Also, I’d LOVE to see this in the garden.

I know a lot of people that would love to make one.
Definitely nominate this for POTW!

-J

1 Like

I agree. Wow. As a build it is fantastic, but also the design is beautiful. Great job!

Just the scale of this project is impressive let alone the the stacking of layered cuts to made the scene 3D. Nice work!

The scale made it a little difficult for most applications other than on our stage.

However, my wife has told me she would love it in our front yard, so once Christmas is done I plan on scaling it down to about 7’ figures. I can post that to the Garden for anyone who wants a unique nativity for their yard next year. Also, it’s all built out of 3/4" pink foam. I found that the tolerances weren’t as accurate as I would have hoped for, but a razor blade fixed that as I put the layers together. I’ll post some close ups tomorrow to give you a better idea.

2 Likes

I’m fine with scaling it myself, so anything you have is great with me! My parents really want one for christmas, so the sooner the better for us! :slight_smile: Thanks!

Christmas Nativity.skp (2.2 MB)
Here is the sketchup file with the figures drawn in 3d and 2d. You will have to scale them and part out the individual layers, as I probably won’t have time to do it until after Christmas. Good luck! Send pictures if you get it done!

I also included the reference image I used if you want to try and make the wise men and the angel. We only wanted sheep and shepherds for our Christmas Eve services, no wise men.

Here’s a pic of most of the sheets I printed out…in this form it doesn’t scale down easily…

2 Likes

And the Rendering pre-build.

2 Likes

I appreciate the wisemen accuracy :slight_smile:

Did you ever make SVG’s? I’ve never messed with sketchup before, but I’m really impressed with your workflow.
You really nailed the vision of the original design.

-J

I did make SVG’s. I used the FaceSVG plug in for sketchup, then exported to Easel to make the G-Code. I also added CNCed labels for each piece to keep them somewhat organized. I liked the ease of use of Easel, but would love to find something that isn’t web based to generate the GCode.

‘speechless’ is I guess the English word for having no words.
Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I recommend Fusion 360. The CAM is really powerful for a consumer facing software package.
If you have the SVG’s that would be super helpful.

Thanks again!
-J

Unfortunately I didn’t do a good job of saving files. A lot of the transferring between programs was on a per sheet basis, so I ended up with lots of unused files, where either I forgot to flip the figure (I cut on the backside of the foam), or the tabs weren’t thick enough, the labels were wrong, etc. All told I think it was something like 40 sheets of 3/4 foam to build.

I could also export as a DWG if that helps.

Christmas Nativity.dwg (2.0 MB)

Time for the polls! You get two votes on two polls, so scroll down and vote like you mean it.

Project of the Week

• Mike_Thomas' Fish Carving
  • Spartandante's Signs and Cutouts
  • jldelaere's 16’ Tall Nativity

0 voters

jldelaere's 16’ Tall Nativity

Spartandante's Signs and Cutouts

Mike_Thomas' Fish Carving

Community Gardener

• Chain Guide
  • Maslow Ring System
  • Coat Hanger 1