Maslow Home Maslow Community Garden

Question for 3D printing Maslovians

I just picked this up for a good price? Anybody use or know this unit? Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

#### SainSmart x Creality3D Ender-3 3D Printer

It does a decent job out of the box if the power supply doesn’t shoot sparks the first time you turn it on. I helped a friend build one. It was a fireworks show in the living room. Luckily one of our group members had a spare power supply with him. $50 later it fired up and ran well. We replaced it with a high end Meanwell power supply. The owner has been able to produce prints without much trouble.

I hope this helps

Thank you

Face shield, check. Fire extinguisher, check. Very helpful. Thank you.

I have the bigger cr-10 version and it works fine. I mostly make practical stuff with mine that doesn’t need a smooth surface finish, Brackets, adapterse, clamps, etc., so I changed the 0.4mm nozzle to a 0.8mm nozzle which prints about 4x faster.

Really depends on what you want to print. I find 3d printing annoyingly slow and inefficient. 90% of the time I figure a cheaper way to make it out of metal or wood. Or do a combination where I stick a big aluminum tube i the middle to make object stronger and also print faster. I’m not into printing plastic toys and widgets off thingverse either.

Like you I am not interested in printing toys and widgets. I am interested in making functional items with precision that I would rather dessign on the computer than fiddle with in the shop forever. I want to use the printer to make things like fixtures, brackets etc. while I work on larger pieces to use them on. The dust collector for the meticulous z-axis is one of those things. If I am going to spend $50 to have it printed I might as well buy a printer and have the utility for other things as well. I think I can make some nice knife scabbards, fishing tools, molds for fishing lures and on and on. I often need wierd shaped pieces for clamping wood when building recurve bows too.

I also want to keep up with technology. This is the direction technology is going and it keeps getting less expensive and things I learn will be applicable down the road.

I appreciate your comments.

This is just a general Bowden tube-style 3d printer bit of advice, Take care to store your filament properly, PLA especially becomes brittle over time, and can break in the tube. This usually isn’t an issue, but on some rare occasions the pushing side of the break can slide off of and past the pushed side in the throat of the hotend, causing machine stoppage.

Also, be careful with temperatures at your hotend. I’m not certain about the Ender 3, but some printers have PTFE liner tubes in the throat leading up to the nozzle. Those liner tubes start to become pliable and deform at high temperatures (numbers vary from source to source, but ~265c is where I’ve experienced failures), leading to clogs and general bad behavior.

All metal hotends are the way to go.

Thank you

I have one of these and love it, I did do a few upgrades such as the petfang cooling, as well as printed cable chain for the Z and bed plate, and a couple other little things like a drawer and spool deal that uses bearings for less resistance. But all in all I love the thing and it does what I need. The only problems I seem to have with the unit is when I think I know better or do something stupid, like screw in the screw in the hot end that has a thermistor in it, oops.

But all of my brackets on my Maslow for my Z axis were printed off this thing at .2 height and like 30ish % infill and so far they are great.

Great stuff guys, the printer came in but is sitting in it’s box for now. Need to figure out a place for it to live, we have too much crap! I was going to put it in the garage but after reading up on these things I have begun to wonder if that is a bad idea.

Being in the garage on its own wouldn’t do any harm, aside from keeping consistent ambient temperatures. It would be important to clean your build surface before prints, and to install dust filters on any fans. I’d also place them above and away from anything that produces a sizeable amount of fine sawdust.

A couple of my printers are on a little custom shelf in my office space, but I’ve been considering a migration to a wall near my work bench in the garage.

You might want to check humidity level before moving to an area without climate control. I had LOTS of printing failures only to find out the issue. (Plugged extruders, filament breaking during prints, stringy prints, etc).

I live in Georgia and even in my house, the humidity level was too high for my filament to be stored on my machine as you have shown. The material absorbs moisture fairly quickly. I solved by making a filament dehydrator. Made from a $30 food dehydrator. Solved all my issues.

Thanks, I’m in Arizona no humidity problem here. :smiley: