Questions about the v-plotter script

Is there a (simple) way to use [v-plotter.py2](http://v-plotter.py/) as a kind of inkscape extension?

as in using inkscape as a GUI to tinker with the parameters.

This way people could overlay a [v-plotter.py2](http://v-plotter.py/) over a drawing that has the dimensions of their frame and motor positions. This could then make it very easy to see if a certain setup is ‘good enough’ to cut a certain size of shape.

Once more people have a Maslow this kind of tool could make a difference when working with a portable setup. …What are we going to build, how large do we need to make the frame. …As we don’t want to waste time and material …especially on the largest parts.

Now the [v-plotter.py2](http://v-plotter.py/) spits out exellent .png files so this already works to some extent.
But having this with a inkscape GUI around it may be just that little extra that woodworkers may want, who don’t have joy in commandline work.

Also I wonder what needs to be done to output in SVG in real metric and imperial instead of ‘pixelionian somethings’ .png format

Is there a (simple) way to use v-plotter.py2 as a kind of inkscape extension?

as in using inkscape as a GUI to tinker with the parameters.

no, you would have to re-write the code as an inkscape plugin

This way people could overlay a v-plotter.py2 over
a drawing that has the dimensions of their frame and motor positions. This
could then make it very easy to see if a certain setup is ‘good enough’ to cut
a certain size of shape.

the v-plotter already shows you dimensions, but you are free to take the code
and do whatever you want with it.

you can also play with the simulator in Ground Control

Once more people have a Maslow this kind of tool could make a difference
when working with a portable setup. …What are we going to build, how large do
we need to make the frame. …As we don’t want to waste time and material
…especially on the largest parts.

you are giving v-plotter far too much credit. The values internal to v-plotter
were based on the assumption that the maslow design worked ell everywhere. We
know know it’s not quite that good, so the results it’s showing aren’t really
correct. But since we don’t know what the correct boundries are, we don’t really
know what ‘correct’ would be either.

Now the v-plotter.py2 spits out exellent .png files
so this already works to some extent.
But having this with a inkscape GUI around it may be just that little extra
that woodworkers may want, who don’t have joy in commandline work.

sorry, I’m not the programmer for those people’s tools. Someone else is free to
take the code I produced and make it into a GUI tools (and deal with all the “it
doesn’t work on X” complaints), but it’s not likely to be me that does it.

Also I wonder what needs to be done to output in SVG in real metric and imperial instead of ‘pixelionian somethings’ .png format

a complete re-write at best. This will never be ‘real SVG’ because the entire
approach is to walk through the area and calculate the results of various forces
at each point, so it’s ‘pixelionian’ by the very nature of the calculations that
are being done.

David Lang

P.S. asking the same thing multiple times is not likely to get different
answers.

2 Likes

@quanghieuci

Welcome to our group.

I will make a blanket statement, the measurement in the digital world is just that. An idea of space mathematically. It is not aware of either metric or imperial. It is relational and we assign it values based on our perception of standards and conventions. The Machine is unaware of where it really is, the operator must inform it. The Programmer makes it seem the machine is aware and the better the software the more this is invisible.

Thank you

1 Like

I’ve meddled in that script with my non existing coding skills…

Inkscape uses python for it’s add-ons so i hoped it could somehow be wrapped in a script.
But the inkscape tutorioals threw to much code speak at me then i’m able to get my head around at this point in time.

It’s easy to copy and paste the out.png into inkscape, still it takes some time to figure out how to make it into metric… The imperial stuff always confuses me.

Welcome @quanghieuci
There is nothing to add to add to the statements above.
Almost :slight_smile:
The script is a great and welcomed contribution to the community, by a honoured Member who has taken mathematics in python, form a hanging wall pen plotter version and adjusted it for a power tool on chains.
There is no doubt for me, that the real world results are not entirely matching the calculated ones.
If it was not mentioned before, the line between blue and white is just a reference for a transition border. Only from what I have understood, that you would have to attach a rainbow to that line. Blue on the inside, as good and red on the outside, bad.

GUI? Inkscape plugin? For what? You have a .png. A Portable Network Graphic. Import that in Inkscape and scale uniformly with the Ctrl key to your drawing of the frame. If frame is imperial or metric does not matter.
Now measure anything you want.
I have now issues with creating a .png with 2440x1220 px and scaling that to 2440x1220 mm.

It was likely me who is responsible for that script, to keep coming up, as a have linked it at least once in this new Forum. (sorry if that created unwanted traffic)

If you feel like you want to discuss this further you have 2 options.

1. Change the head line. “I have a question” is a bad head line. Tell the people what the question is about please. Something like: Questions about the v-plotter script?
  2. You can PM me if you want

As an inspiration for a vision of a new frame, or for improvements of designs, this scrip has a place in my heart so deep, that I am determined to study python. Time is the biggest stone that needs to be rolled for that to happen, but who knows.

Edit1: Looks like I changed the headline. Can someone confirm that this is public or tell me that this is a feature that only I see? Sorry for the inconvenience.

I asked the initial question that @quanghieuci pasted here, I had several reasons.

I’m going to try to make my maslow to be portable and eventually scalable to some degree.
And then it’s good to have a tool like this to do something like this:
Pick the drawing of what you need to cut
then overlay the out.png (At actual scale) to see how big the frame needs to be, to be able to cut the object without issues.

The other reason is to have a tool to play with to explore different idea’s, anything that allows deeper insights is welcome.

It would have been great if this was possible somehow. But i also realise that this would divert energy into something that is a sidetrack. And i don’t have a clue how much energy this would be.

And yes scaling from px to mm could get you in trouble with an inkscape bug…

Please count me in when you go deeper into this script Gero, I really like to gain more insights myself. First how to convert it to generate a metric output. (Meter / Decimeter grid)

And yes the headline is changed now. I hope @quanghieuci is aware of the new heading.

I have PM’ed Bar about this. It was a drunk, messed up combination of copy and past…
Should not be possible from my opinion.
At the end it is our new Friends post.

I use it as an Inspiration, rather than a accurate measurement tool.

This not likely to happen unless I find myself bankrupt June 2018 and have a 2 months holiday that I can’t fly nowhere. I have done Maslow Holidays before and it gives me more back than I take.

1 Like

The discourse forum gives you more permissions the longer you are on board, you are probably long on board and trusted enough to have the permission to edit the header.

Not sure if i correct understand what you said

1 Like

So any wasted guy that has been long enough in here, can by accident change the headline of a topic?
Edit1:

Which part?

hehe, if it’s a friendly wasted guy with team spirit who contributed to the community… I guess yes…

It’s those ‘badges’ that this forum hands out

Ehm it all seems a bit mangled today. :slight_smile: I’m having too many thoughts floating around in my brain.

And my apologies to @quanghieuci for sliding off-topic in his tread.

1 Like

I take the total plywood sheet to fit in an acceptable area to achieve a 0.4 mm accuracy as the target for my vision.

2 Likes

The script has things in the comments talking about how to change the grid lines
from inches/feet to meters

:slight_smile: yes i have read those lines, but the ‘imperial speak’ just doesn’t catch on to me yet.

Math is not my best side

I played around with the grid but since the image is in px and the grid comes out different then i expected, then i get lost in the dimensions.

I will get there eventually, once i play a bit more with it.

This is yet another reason why it would be cool to have this in inkscape somehow. Then it would be more easy to rescale and set some guides to make some sense of it all…

But i’ll get there. I just keep playing with it.

@Gero, once I get started with a portable build i hope i can show you what is bouncing around in my mind like a pinball, it’s just not easy to put into words somehow

1 Like