Red blinking light while doing the first calibration and got an error message on one of the motors

Hi I’m trying to figure out why this error popped up while doing the first calibration after assembling the Maslow 4. I updated the firmware and the index and maslow.yaml. But still having the same issue. Could it be the magnet or any type of hardware or software issue?

I assume you have the same problem as I do and your encoder or motor is faulty. Are the lights blinking on the top left side ?( control board and encoder ). Is the top left motor plugged in ?

1 Like

Yes they are all connected I ran it again and still have the same problem. Would it be an issue if I swap one of the motors to see if it’s the control board?

1 Like

So I have some news about the problem I’m having and it seems the problem is the female connection on the control board. I went along and swapped the top left motor with the bottom right and it keeps giving me the error on the screen. [MSG:ERR: Motor not found on Top Left] hope this info helps.

1 Like

I think that this is your culprit. Try unplugging and re-plugging the top left motor.

It would not be an issue at all, that is a great way to test.

1 Like

Gotcha so no matter what motor is plugged into the top left port you are getting that error?

That sounds like an issue with the motor driver chip for the top left motor to me. I’ll send you a message with a code for a new controller board.

1 Like

Yes that’s the problem that is giving me, I unplugged all off the motors and plugged top right motor on the one that is having the problem and left the rest unplugged and is still not reading it.

1 Like

Just thinking out loud… would it be a possibility that the heatsink placements could be causing some of these issues. perhaps testing different motors and also testing with heatsinks removed might be a suggestion for troubleshooting?

2 Likes

That is a great suggestion! That could 100% be the cause

1 Like

I believe there was at least one post where someone found the heatsink was
shorting some pins, they moved it and it cleared up.

David Lang

1 Like

as the heatsinks are anodized, they should no longer be conductive

some anodization is still conductive enough, and if scratched, you get back to
aluminum.

but isn’t anodization also less thermally conductive? that seems an odd thing to
put on a heatsink.

David Lang

I’ll check for continuity next time I’m near my M4

1 Like

I appear to have this same issue affecting my top right. Could this be a batch defect? With or without the heatsink appears to not make a difference for me, and I can wiggle all of the other heatsinks, and they still perform, though none of my belt motors retracts or extends at all. I’m dreading disassembling any part of this, but I’m not sure if I’m dealing with more than one issue. I’m hoping it’s a software update issue, firmware issue perhaps, because if these were tested before shipping I think these errors would have shown up. I don’t think I tried tested before updating.

2 Likes

If you plug a different motor into that top right port do you see the same issue or does the issue go away?

same issue. I think I’ve followed all of the steps I’ve read everyone else has taken and it’s still not ok. Red led just flashing after booting up

2 Likes

It sounds like that could be the controller board, I’m going to DM you a code for a free replacement and let’s see if that fixes it!

not a great photo, but do any of these solder joints look out of order?

1 Like

None of them stand out to me as a clear culprit, but it can be hard to spot a bad solder.

Let’s see if the new board fixes it, and that should tell us for sure if it was a board issue.

Thanks Bar. A shame I couldn’t have it before Beryl hits us tomorrow, it would have been very useful

2 Likes