Router review for cnc use

This is intended to be a discussion of the routers used and tried and how well they worked based on a question regarding in another thread. I’ll give what information I have and encourage you to share your information for the community.

So far I have used 4 different routers on the 3 Maslow frames built in my “shop.”

Router #1: Ryobi model R163 (part of table set)

Goods

• available
  • work light
  • lots of air movement

Bads

• mount had odd shape at the end of the screw requiring a custom coupling
  • similar lead screw to rigid design and all that entails: slow to move. Unreliable.
  • single on/ off speed burns up end mills

Router #2 Hitachi model KM12VCM

Goods

• heavy duty
  • speed control spindle
  • available to me

Bads

• speed controller broke so only slowest speed worked. This was not necessarily a bad thing for cnc use, but eliminated any other use of it.
  • heavy metal housing added weight to sled
  • less common size so getting a mount was more challenging

Router #3 Makita RT0701C palm router

Goods

• speed control
  • light housing (compared to Hitachi)
  • good air flow

Bads

• no light

Router #4 Bauer model 19121E-B palm router (Makita knock-off)

Goods

• same size as Makita so all tool mounts fit
  • speed control
  • light housing
  • $80 brand new.

Bads

• less air flow, runs hotter than Makita and has so far been more likely to melt foam cutting and gum up

I currently have 1/8 mill in the Bauer and 1/4 mill in Makita and quick swap the units on the sled as needed. Or both can be used simultaneously on 2 different cncs in the shop. The Makita is great. The Bauer is good for wood that I have found so far. The Ryobi lives on a router table and I don’t have the Hitachi anymore.

1 Like

I have only tried 2 routers:

Router #1: Ryobi model (I think I have the same as you)

Goods

• Rather inexpensive
  • work light
  • lots of air movement

Bads

• mount had odd shape at the end of the screw requiring a custom coupling
  • similar lead screw to rigid design and all that entails: slow to move. Unreliable.
  • single on/ off speed burns up end mills

Router #2 Skil

Goods

• heavy duty
  • Digital read out screen
  • speed control spindle (pre-set RPMs, but easily read and change with push button)
  • Good deal and it came with fixed and plunge base (for other uses)

Bads

• Fixed mount had a very short screw for height adjustment that was used in conjunction with 3 notches on the router body so really limited the travel of bit when attached to sled.

I had made a very poorly cut Meticulous Z axis, and then re-cut it once I really figured out how to use the CNC and had the speed control of the Skil, so I no longer needed the base. I still use the Skil on the Maslow. The Ryobi is back in the bag that it came with and I haven’t touched it since swapping to the Skil.

I do have the Makita that @Orob mentioned on another CNC Machine, and it works really well. I agree with his Goods/Bads he has listed for that.

1 Like

Skil model # RT1323-00

I think this is very similar to c00nphrog’s but without the digital read out and only comes with a fixed base

Pros:
LED light
Variable speed 10000 - 25000
Comes with 1/4 and 1/2 collets & wrench
Soft start and electronic feedback for constant
RPM
Heavy duty 1 3/4 HP 10 amp motor
Cheap $89.98
Stays cool

Cons:
Heavy
Came only with fixed base
Doesn’t come with a spare set of brushes
Doesn’t include a 1/8" collet (can purchase through Amazon)

I’ve used the Makita RT710C for most of my work and really liked it:

Goods:
Speed control
Light weight
Powerful
Standard size housing in case you’d like to swap to a different palm router

Bads:
Gets very hot at low speed on long cuts
No light

I’ve also used the Harbor Freight DrillMaster Trim Router (62659) for very long, light duty engraving jobs where I don’t want to burn up my Makita

Goods:
Absurdly cheap ($30)
Same size housing as the Makita
Can run for a long time at low speed (when using a speed controller - I have this one https://www.menards.com/main/tools/power-tools/routers/router-speed-control/80820/p-1444421810442-c-10087.htm)
Light weight

Bads:
Without speed controller can only run at 26000 RPM
Less powerful at lower speeds
Super loud
Plastic housing
No light