Sharpie Holder and Santa Stop Sign

First is the Santa Sign. I made a Sharpie holder that was designed by @krkeegan here https://forums.maslowcnc.com/u/krkeegan. The inside lines were drawn with a Sharpie. I hand painted all of it. Hindsight, I should have painted it all white before cutting it.

7 Likes

I modified the pen holder because the dimensions were off a tiny bit. I assembled it together and it was too wife. I sanded it down to fit. I added an extra piece to the end to allow the marker to extend further and because the holes were too big. The hole that was added was cut the same size as the tip of the sharpie. This acts as a stop to the sharpie. The top was placed on the back to fill in the gap. I cut grooves on the top piece to secure the rubberband. Finally it was all assembled with glue and secured with brad nails.

3 Likes

This is how I drew out the inside lines: in makercam I set the tool path to a different size to allow for a tool change (I used .3 as the setting), I set the depth to -0.3 and the step down to 0.3 (to only draw one pass). I did have problems with the lines jumping. I strapped the router to the base and it seemed to just be the difference in weight.

1 Like

A bit early for Santa for my taste :joy: but cool.

2 Likes

Mine too, but I guess this is why I’m in a hurry in the week before Christmas :smile:

1 Like

I do a huge light show and I am working on doing a big display this year. So I am doing a little at a time. I plan to do 4 ft characters. This was a small test to fine tune what I want to do. I have a question for the pros… I traced out the characters but when I placed into makercam, there are a thousand triangles that indicate separate cut paths. How do I make that one simple line?

1 Like

Give me a character and I’ll check Inkscape. We are expecting pictures from the light show in December now :wink:
The Grinsh?

1 Like

Here are the files for the grinch scene that I want to do first. There is a png, svg, and makercam svg in each of the folders for the grinch, max, and cindy lou who. The Grinch Family.zip (1.0 MB)

I love how the design is this “this looks wobly because a kid made this unsupervised” look. But it’s made on a precision cnc. I fear we’ve come full circle :smiley:

2 Likes

This is way better than my toilet paper holder roll sharpie holder :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome! I haven’t received my Maslow yet, but I’ve been daydreaming about hacks like this and I sign up for the forums and this is the first post I see.

I’ll be circling back to this once my machine is all set up!

3 Likes

Thank you. The project was just something simple as a proof of concept and for testing. I plan to do big cutouts like this: 638213015_7xcu

2 Likes

This was the first test cut to see if I could do the outline. The recent test was to teach my maslow to draw and write. ( These maslows grow up so quick)

2 Likes

Yeah, if it’s crazy ideas you want, the forum is the place :slight_smile:

1 Like

were to get files