Sled doesn't sit flat on worksurface (I'm using Bar's Bolt Frame)

Everything is looking good. I am using the triangle linkage arms (not the ring) because I miscalibrated the machine and turned my head during the first cut. When I looked back the Maslow sled was in the air above the board and the ring was went from a “C” to a “J” shape… but I digress.

The issue I have is that the sled is tipping up off the worksurface at it moves to the top. I’m talking about a quarter to half inch.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? I’m guess it should be flat across the whole surface.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing I can think of is your chains are not parellel to the work surface and the motors are too far above in terms of z. You can also adjust the ring height which will mess with center of gravity also though.

1 Like

I also used the bolt frame. I started with my ring at the highest setting and had a similar issue. Once I lowered it to about halfway, the tipping went away.

3 Likes

I’ve seen others report that when the sled is hanging in mid air by the chains it should have the same tilt forward that your frame has - the angles should match.

1 Like

This and @LakeWorthB’s comments gave me the mental nudge I needed. I can’t test this until Wednesday, but I think that the linkage is too low in my case.

If I lightly press on the router while cutting it sits on the worksurface and cuts fine. I need to move the linkage arms into the same plan as the z-axis cog. (I.e., up about an inch or two.)

I’ll try it and report back for future maslowians.

This sounds like you need to raise your triangular kit in height.
Do you have a picture?

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. I raised it an inch and suddenly all is flat!

3 Likes

we need to change the instruction wiki to make it clear that getting the sled at
least reasonably balanced is critical.

2 Likes

Hi Guys ! … i finally got my maslow setup.
And i have similar issue. But only when the sledge is going down. When its moving up, its flat against the wood. Is about 3-4 mm. Where do you think i should start correcting?

Morten (Denmark)

1 Like

Go slightly higher with your ring. Perhaps 5mm would do.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum Maslowian! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

you mean like this … away from surface?

2 Likes

and thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Most likely your handle will need to come off too. Once you raise the ring you will see the top of the sled start coming in towards the project board. You can lift the sled by the chains to see how the sled is balanced as well.

*Edit: Also from looking at the top picture, you are going to want to adjust your tension on the slack chains along the top board. You will get a chain wrap if you try to run anything.

3 Likes

Yes … i notised that i have placed the tension wrong, so i will correct this. Thanks :slight_smile:

Amazing … ill do that first thing tomorrow. Im going to live in my garage when this is tuned in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. The 5mm is just a rough guess. It could be more, that you need to raise.
What I meant to say is, just raise it enough to close that gap on your down moves.
Going too high will have similar negative effects mirrored.

There are many different options but this may be the easiest. Take a look at this thread.

2 Likes

you need to adjust the height of the chains above the sled. If you are using the
ring, you need to adjust the height of the ring.

if you hold the sled in mid-air by the chains, it should be upright, or tilt
slightly forward.

David Lang

Yes I had same and raising ring kit solved. Also before raising ring kit, make sure to add cut piece, ontop of spoil board, ontop of frame. Generally, your router is laying ontop of 3 boards.

1 Like