Somers Middle School Triceratops

We just got this triceratops assembled! We have the students brainstorming ideas for the eyes. Maybe LED’s or 3D printing them. What would you do with the eyes?

IMG_3120

27 Likes

AWESOME!

LEDs sound like an awesome idea.

2 Likes

WOW! This is amazing!
I would just carve or cut out eyes, to maintain the overall look. But that is just personal preference.
If I would get a run on LED, I’d might end up putting a few dozen to see how it looks in the dark :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of googly eyes. But, LEDs would be cool, too.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken the prize for ‘project assembled with most parts’ goes to @mlugo and students.

5 Likes

Impressive! Seeing all those hard to reach edges for touch up sanding reminds me - I’ve used these sanding balls chucked in a drill press to sand pieces like yours. Very quick and painless (just be careful). You can find them online, Harbor Freight, etc.
s-l400

3 Likes

Holy cow that is so cool!

I have to ask: how long did that take to cut? bracing for answer

4 Likes

And the CAD-CAM workflow please :pray:
Was FlatFab involved?

5 Likes

I want to make one but MUCH bigger.

Very cool to see one made :smiley:

3 Likes

POTW.
I would carve an eye and glue in a marble.

4 Likes

Giggle is always good for a laugh.

Edit: No doubt about competitors for the Project Of The Week.

3 Likes

Looking seriously good!!!

Great work!!!

1 Like

Thanks, I like the idea of the sanding ball. Sanding for this project was not a problem with 20 enthusiastic 3rd graders working on it in an after school club.

2 Likes

We scaled, edited, and created tool paths for this project using VCarve. We cut it from 1/4" plywood with a 1/8" downcut bit. The entire job took Maslow around 5 hours to complete making 2 passes. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

6 Likes

This is great! I am doing a dinosaur bone hunt on a T Rex model for my son’s bday. Working out the final gcode now.

2 Likes

The other approach to eyes I know of is white ping pong balls. When properly painted and then coated with something glossy to give them a wet sheen, they look amazingly real. Probably not what you’re looking for with this project, though.

1 Like

Can we get your files on this. …? My yard needs one or two of these =)

6 Likes

+1 on this. My kids are going to need one lol

2 Likes

very cool project, you should raffle it off!

1 Like

Looks great, can you share the vectors or the Vcarve project file?

1 Like