Stop sled from tipping over

Hi,

I have successfully cut a few bits and pieces. Thank you all for your help getting me where I am.

Now, how do you guys keep the sled from tipping over at the end of the wood? I have, for example, 2 feet by 2 feet piece of wood, which I’d like to cut a few things out. Right now, I add additional surrounding material to make to sure the sled stays in constant contact with the wood.

How do you solve this issue? I have seen Maslow Mark II - 3D but hope for a less complex solution.

Thanks

marie.o

You have already discovered the solution, a support apron.

Thank you.

What is the consensus about the maximum overlap allowed, before it tips over. I want to minimize the amount of wood needed around…

Thanks.

marie.o

your sled diameter is 9 inches. if you have a 6 inch board the same thickness as your workpiece, you should be ok to just build a border on your spoil board with screws to hold the apron in place. The finer detail is keeping the interface between the apron and the work piece flush so the sled won’t catch as it transitions from on to the other.

1 Like

Thanks.

I wondered if I could get away with having a 3" distance between the work piece and the apron, and have the apron itself only an inch or two wide. If I understand you correct, that would not be sufficient.

marie.o

how far over the edge do you need to go? if you are cutting less than 3" from the edge, you sled should not tip. If it does, you need to make sure your chains are paralled and the ring height is set correctly so it doesn’t. A distance of 3" away could work as long as the sled doesn’t get caught on the edge when it transitions.

1 Like

Cool. That will save some wood. This is especially helpful due to me cutting on very thick wood (2" thick). Don’t have too much of that thickness laying around. Also for the fairly thin stuff (6mm) it helps not needing too much spare wood.

Thanks

marie.o

1 Like

To give an update of success: I added 9cm wide wood 3cm away from the work piece (on all edges), and the sled did not tip at all.

Thanks again for the hints. Very much appreciated.

marie.o

2 Likes