Tension issues at the start and end of vertical calibration

I’m trying to calibrate my new Maslow 4 and I’m observing some consistent issues on the 2nd and 2nd to last way points.

My frame is as much horizontal as vertical (45 degree angle) but I’m using the vertical configuration since the force of gravity dominates the force of friction (the sled hangs down from the top cables).

I’ve noticed the order of the way point calibration pattern looks something like:

4 > 5 10
^ v ^
3 6 9
^ v ^
2 < 1/7 > 8

I have also noticed that consistently waypoint 3 (second waypoint going up the first column) and waypoint 9 (second waypoint going up the last column) have issues with the tension in the lower right cable.

For waypoint 3 the lower right cable is not slack enough causing the upper right cable to be slack during measurement. I’m assuming that during vertical calibration the top 2 cables should always in tension and that is why the TR cable didn’t get retracted.

For waypoint 9 I’ve noticed the lower right cable to be slack during measurement. It was never retracted. At first I thought it attempted to retract and failed (a fluke) but I’ve now seen it happen several times in the same place.

I’ve seen this behavior on my first 2 10X9 calibrations but I wasn’t aware of the pattern yet so I’m not sure of the details. Since then I have tested 2x2 grid and smaller 4x3 and 5x4 grids.

I’ve got some videos of those 2 waypoints I can post if it helps. I’ll run it a couple more times to triple check its isolated to these 2 waypoints.

I wanted to get start getting my observations out there in case no one else has reported this behavior. I looked for an existing post but maybe I missed it.

1 Like

A couple things, since I’ve been through some of this a lot. (I’m on a 25% slope horizontal orientation, so it may be different)

1. What firmware version are you on? I think I saw this back a few versions.
  2. It should start with a new “0” where you have 6 in your diagram, then to the bottom, then left to the first point on the corner.
1 Like

I upgraded to v0.68 before I started anything. Or at least I think I did, I definitely observed the “console would stop displaying new messages after the calibration process ran” bug introduced in v0.68 and fixed by v0.69.

You are right about 0 starting in the middle I thought mentioning it would make my diagram more confusing. I traced the sled’s location every time it stopped to make a more accurate diagram of what was actually happening.

I ran a bunch more tests on a 4x4 grid today and confirmed the behavior at way point 3. I had troublesome but inconsistent behavior in the transition from waypoint 1 to 2 as well as 3 to 4. In these cases during the sled movement sometimes the bottom right cable is too tight and causes the sled to jump en-route.

I am consistently getting an issue from waypoint 2 to waypoint 3 that results in the bottom right cable always being too tight and the top right cable being slack during measurement.

In general the bottom left corner measurements are always causing issues with the lack of slack in the bottom right cable. I am no longer observing any issues measuring the other waypoints.

I suspected the lack of slack might have to do with a poor initial guess for the frame size. I’ve tested both larger and smaller dimensions and the result is the same.

1 Like

I’ve seen this too. I think that it’s happening because we have three belts pulling one direction and just one opposing it so one of the three ends up getting dominated.

It should be not too hard to fix in firmware, I’m hoping to release an update today that might help.

2 Likes

I update everything to v0.69.1 from this post: Interstitial Firmware Releases - #64 by bar

It successfully measured waypoint 3 without the same issue. It then went on to finish the 3x3 grid (without duplicate points!) and calculate a fitness greater than one!

The later measurements/calculations are still running and they’ve dropped the fitness down to .5 but I’ll save those observations for the other thread when its finished running.

This is the most success I’ve had. I think the issue in this thread is solved. Thanks!

2 Likes