The incredible shrinking cut size

I’m at the stage of assembly where I need to cut the final frame parts on my temp frame. What I am noticing is a rather substantial variation on exactly the same gcode, depending on where I position my cuts. I know the sample frame+sled might not be as accurate as the final version, but the size difference seems a little surprising.

In the attached pic, there are 3 cuts (top #1, middle #2, bottom #3). The top cut measured from highest to lowest point is 6 3/4". Middle is 8 1/4", and bottom is 8 1/2". I watched these cuts being made, and there were no hangups or other issues during the process. And I have gone through the calibration process.

Is this variation normal for the temp frame, or is there something I should check?

That is something we’ve struggled with for quite a while, the issue is that the calibration is off. I would start with opening the settings in Ground Control and check that all the recorded dimensions for the machine look right and possibly re-do the calibration process.

2 Likes

Yes, it must have been pilot error on my part. Re-calibrated this morning and seeing great accuracy+conformity on cuts today.

Btw, I am totally loving this machine. A 4x8 CNC was never something I thought I’d have (let alone the room to store one). Thanks for making something so cool.

3 Likes

Thank you all for believing in the idea, bearing with us while we work out the kinks!

1 Like