Todays the day, building my Maslow. Cover me Im going in

Hi Maslovians
I just got my Maslow kit at the end of last week and I have time now to work on it. I’m heading over to Home Depot to pick up my router and supplies. I do not have a truck so I have to rent one from them as well. I cleared out some room in the garage. I’ve purchased the suggested Rigid router and I have my gathered supply list from reading other posts. But I do have 1 (timidly stupid) Question. What router bit or bits should I get for general Maslow use? Here is currently whats on my shopping list and I have all this upcoming weekend (I hope) to get this thing running…

3 sheets of 3/4inch (18mm) plywood,
1/2 inch insulation foam
2 red bricks,
6 10 foot 2x4s.
few metal plates 4"x12"(?) for reinforcing the final lower lip. (What are these?)
some 3/4" screws
A box of 1-1/4”
some 2-1/2" screws

I’ll take some photos of the build up along the way. I’ve looking forward to this since May!
also Im a noob… *8) but I love learning and helping out. so YAY!

6 Likes

The wiki page recommends this bit which should be available at your local home depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1-4-in-Up-Spiral-Router-Bit-DR75101/204073552

If you have enough time to order bits, I would strongly recommend the single flute 1/4" bit offered in the Maslow store: http://www.maslowcnc.com/store/singlefluteupspiralbit
The maximum feedrate for the machine is currently lower than a two flute upshear bit needs to avoid excessive wear. A more in depth discussion is located here: Increasing the Max Feedrate?

I also have ordered my bits from Thinker and Tinker, they have a good selection of tooling for various applications and I like the quality of the tools they offer: Application: Woodworking

Good luck on the build! It’s exciting to get to building and running the machine! Please post your build and any feedback you may have. It’ll help future builders too :wink:

2 Likes

Here are 2 suggestions:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1-4-in-Up-Spiral-Router-Bit-DR75101/204073552

http://www.maslowcnc.com/store/2fluteupspiralbit

More to follow -

Thank you

2 Likes

Amazon:

HQMaster 10PCS 1/8" 17mm Carbide Flat Nose End Mill CNC Router Bits Double Flute Spiral Set Tool Nylon Resin ABS Acrylic PVC MDF Hardwood ( adapter needed for R22002, see below )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010NI39WO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 Pics 1/4" to 1/8" Collet Chuck Driver Adapter for Lathe CNC Router Cutter Milling Bit -

https://www.amazon.com/Collet-Driver-Adapter-Router-Milling/dp/B017I8D1F2/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1509830193&sr=1-3&keywords=1%2F4+to+1%2F8+collet+adapter

here are 2 threads to look at:

Thank you

2 Likes

By the way I strongly suggest star driven Deck screws if your using a power screwdriver.

this is an example:

Welcome to the community, let us know how it goes, post pictures

Thank you

2 Likes

I like these screws, bit the star bit they put in with them is pretty soft - I find that they get twisted if I try to snug the screws in too much…

2 Likes

Thank you all for the responses… Just got back from HD as well as other errands. Rented the HD truck. its a $50 deposit they then refund it minus the 19 bucks and tax once you return it.
Bring an Drivers Lic and Proof of Insurance.
Bought the Diablo bit… Bricks and Foam insulation were in the building materials section next to lumber. Heres some photos of the shopping spree. load-up, unload and area clean up sorta. I have the ply wood up against the wall I plan to leave it there is that enough room? I also plan on on tearing down that work bench to make more room and possibly having the maslow make me a new smaller work bench… eventually. I think I have all parts needed now I’ll start the build guide. thanks you all. totaly run time with the Truck 70 mins. but then I spent another 4hrs shopping at other places for other stuff. sigh…

IMG_6060IMG_6096IMG_6100IMG_6080IMG_6097IMG_6093IMG_6090IMG_6089IMG_6094IMG_6091IMG_6099

4 Likes

Looks good so far. Did you get a Z axis?

Thank you

That looks right. I believe the stock machine is 120" wide.

I’m very familiar with the feeling. There’s never enough time in the day :wink:

2 Likes

Just to clarify, the wiki lists a single router bit because that’s all that anyone has written up, however the wiki Router Bit section is intended for people to report their experiences (good and bad) with different router bits.

It might be that there are simply too many variables and sources for bits for this to be helpful in the long run, but much like the various materials, there are so many bit designs and sources for different materials, speeds, use cases, tasks, etc that the idea for that section of the wiki is to have people report their experiences with bits and perhaps lend others enough information to make an educated guess when matching a bit with a material or use case.

again, the single bit listed in the wiki is ONLY a function of a lack of sample size. Please consider adding your experiences to the wiki!

cheers.

4 Likes

@rovino had mentioned buying the first components at home depot and I knew the link there specifically was for the diablo bit they carry. However, this is still a good point. I had mentioned at some point helping there and then promptly forgot I can add to it. I will add some of my notes and flesh out the tooling section a little.

Edit: added the particular 1 flute I’m raving about here: https://github.com/MaslowCNC/Mechanics/wiki/Maslow-Store-0.25in-1-Flute-Bit

Will get around to writing a few more up tomorrow when I have time.

3 Likes

Yes I did get the Z access but I havent gotten to that stage yet, I read its a bear to deal with…

1 Like

I’d say it’s a bear to live without :smile:, soon get tired of waiting for the next z-axis change…

4 Likes

See - setup number 2 here:

Thank you

hows the build going? I actually bought all the materials last night and trying to find time to put it all together. I have some concerns that have been lingering in my head that I want to ask the community before I set it up. So I go 2 sheets of plywood and for it to fit in my car, I had one sheet cut down the middle and another sheet cut down lengthwise. I was thinking about using the pieces cut lengthwise for the frame. That shouldn’t affect the structural integrity too much right? Also, I haven’t read anything yet on people running into issues with the sheets being bowed a little. How does that affect the frame and also the cuts?

I didn’t get the suggest ridgid router and bit. It’s a Bosch router model# 1617EVS from black Friday. Im gonna try to figure out dust collection and update how that goes. any advise would be very welcomed. Thanks!

2 Likes

It might be a little strange, but I’ve had pretty good luck with these quarter-inch bits. You can’t be very aggressive with them ( don’t go above 650mm/min 26inch/min feed rate), but they are around $9 for 10 of them and mine make it through 2 or 3 sheets of plywood worth of cutting before I throw one away. If you don’t have 20 days to wait, they also sell the same thing on Amazon for about $6 apiece.

1 Like

Hi sorry for the late reply.
As with all things RL (real life) gets in the way. I am about 80-85% done with the physical build and during that time I built a computer as well. Then my mac book pro decides to die and of course all my maslow information was on it. Here are some photos of my first PC build, needs some tweaking but coming along.
Photo Nov 24, 1 15 33 PM

Heres some photos of the maslow build up to then. I used some scrap ODB (LOL meant OSB… cuz we all know ODB stands for Ol’ Dirty Bastard from the Wu Tang Clan…) for the motor mounts, mainly because a full sheet of plywood was a pain to cut into, and the 2 other sheets I have, have major bowing that Im hoping wont play a factor. You can see my 45 degree supports, the chain and linkage, sprockets and chain guard.

Please feel free to interject if you see any issues I may run into with the build I’ve shown.

I do have a paper cut out of the sled and plan to make that next weekend. Everything is progressing nicely just a little slowly. Since the PC build is now nearly complete I can get up and running with the maslow. I only have the weekends to build, so Im hoping next weekend gets me further along.

6 Likes

Looking good! and nice computer build too.

1 Like

It looks good. but you’re missing a pice in the chain lock

Maybe a stupid question (but this is no judgement category), but what’s the chain lock for?