Tool path opening above work area in Ground Control

Hi Guys

Anyone know how to reset or move a tool path in ground control?

Had issues trying to cut these parts when the chain got caught up. Then when i tried to send the sled back to zero it would not go.

Now even after clearing the g code and rebooting the tool path shows above the work area.

The g code is fine as it works ok on another machine without this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anyone know how to reset or move a tool path in ground control?

the only thing you can do in GC is to move home.

Had issues trying to cut these parts when the chain got caught up. Then when i tried to send the sled back to zero it would not go.

you need to reset the chains (assuming you marked the links during calibration)
or re-do calibration.

If the maslow thinks the chain lengths are different from what they really are,
bad things happen

Now even after clearing the g code and rebooting the tool path shows above the work area.

you have two different issues. The chain lengths and the gcode not being correct

The g code is fine as it works ok on another machine without this issue.

what is the other machine? another maslow? or a different large format CNC? on
the Maslow, 0,0 is in the center of the machine (by default, you can move it
with the ‘set home’ button), on many other machines it’s in
the bottom left corner.

David Lang

ok, thanks again David. Will do a re calibration. It all went bad right after the chain messed up.

Any tips/video you can recommend on re calibration and marking the chains?

I meant on another CAM software package the CAM looks ok,

All the best.

Might be a terminology issue, but don’t confuse calibration with resetting the chains. Calibration is used to adjust the parameters that are used to convert x,y to chain lengths… such as distance between motors, rotational radius, chain tolerance. These don’t normally change over time. Resetting the chains back to known lengths does not require you do recalibrate.

https://forums.maslowcnc.com/t/how-to-manually-reset-chains-the-easy-way/9702/12

where is 0,0 on that other package, I’d bet that it’s in the lower left as
opposed to the center.

Hi All so i have tried everything including re installing Ground Control and re calibrating my machine. As soon as I open any g-code including http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/Fold-Flat-Chair.html it shows the tool path above the work area?

Surely someone else mush have had this issue before?

Under settings, what does it indicate the homex and homey positions to be?

cant find a home setting in settings? on the main screen its 0mm for all but just noticed it says percent CompleteLine: to the right of X?

Click the settings, then advanced settings, you’ll see it somewhere on that page.

In GC, if i recall correctly, there’s a button at the top of the settings page… might say Maslow Settings or something… click that and I think that then gives you a drop down list of other setting pages… pick advanced settings.

Thanks but cant find any reference to that in settings. Am using the latest version of gc. You can see the settings when you open it as in this pic. Why does it say percent complete/line instead of a number. This looks like it might be the issue?

Thanks

What that label is saying is that the number below (0.0%) is the percent complete of the gcode and the number below that (0) is the line number the gcode is on.

The setting for homex and homey is there… See my previous post about how to find the Advanced Settings page… its not intuitive. Click settings and then click the button at the top of the page that comes up and, if i recall correctly, it will give you a drop down so you can pick advanced settings.

What happens when you press ‘Define Home’?

Ahh, yes now found the advanced button, thanks was a little hidden :slight_smile:

Says -0.35 x and 34.57 for y

Not sure how that happened, should i change to 0 for both?

Either do that (change it to 0,0 manually) or back on the home screen, press ‘Define Home’. Since the sled is at 0,0, I think it will change home to 0,0.

Perfect, worked a treat. Thanks for problem solving it for me.

Is now in the work area. Does this toolpath look like it is bigger than the 4 by 8? Its supposed to fit, not sure what it means.

What’s the correct way to adjust the sled to start in a different position if you are using plywood with existing cutouts you want to avoid. Must have messed it up when i tried that.

Thanks

1 Like

What does your settings->bedwidth say?

Right now, home is at 0,0. What you do is adjust home to get it cut at different areas. You can do it one of three ways.

1. move the sled to a spot and press Define Home. Wherever the sled is, it will use that as the home position.

2. Go to Settings->Advanced Settings and change the home coordinates manual.

3. Right-click on a spot on the board and selected ‘define home’ (I think that’s what it says). It will set home to be wherever you right-clicked.

If you post the gcode, I can load it in webcontrol and see what it looks like.

All sorted now and working.

Once again thanks again.

This is such a great supportive community.

All the best

2 Likes

please don’t open multiple threads for the same problem, it just scatters the
discussion.

please post your g-code. The problem is probably that the 0,0 position that you
set in your CAM step is very low compared to your cut.

David Lang