Use of Z axes motor without purchasing full kit

Hello all , I am looking to order the x & Y axes motor plus the maslow shield and the z axes motor .
The bracketry i can make myself and as i will be using my existing Trend router . For this reason i dont want to purchase the complete kit , However on the Maslow store page it says of the z axes motor (The z-axis kit is an add on and is not usable without the full Maslow CNC Regular Machine Kit.). why is this ? is there some thing disabled on the motor shield ? . If anyone knows why the z axes cannot work without having first purchased the full kit I would appreciate knowing why
Thanks
Bruce

1 Like

It uses a port on the motor shield that comes with the full Maslow CNC Regular Machine kit. Without that, you can’t control the Z-Axis motor. Nothing is disabled.

4 Likes

So if I where to purchase the maslow shield as i intended , all should be well ?
thanks for your reply madgrizzle

1 Like

If you are buying the maslow shield you will be able to plug the z-axis into it, so you should be fine. I think the wording that it is not usable without the full kit is mainly so that people don’t think that the z-axis is a stand alone unit that will automate a z-axis in the absence of a motor shield and arduino (unless one provides their own electronic interface).

4 Likes

Thanks keith , thats cleared up a worry

1 Like

@Bruce_Moxon

Welcome to our group. I have been trying to decide if I should buy a set like you for a Plotter version of the Maslow. With the basic parts it is possible to build a custom Maslow type machine.

Thank you