*Warning* Don't buy the Raspberry Pi4

yes, a very interesting mistake, and I find it amusing that it’s the higher end
USB power supplies that don’t work with the Pi4

David Lang

This is why Beagle is in business.

Heatsinks, fans, temperature monitors, firmware upgrades. They’re trying to emulate Intel PCs.

I’ve put heatsink/fans on all my PCs since at least 486s, and a PC Power and Cooling temperature alarm in the case that I used from WinDize 3.1 to 98 and multiple hardware upgrades including that monster 40MB (might have been bigger; old-timers) hard drive. It’s still in the hardware rack but the graphics are flaky and it hasn’t been fired up in years.

I caught the second Pi wave, stayed up late for the first offering but couldn’t get into the swamped website to order one. After a couple weeks of dinking around shelved it because it was just too darned slow. My pi 2, otoh, happily runs the network monitoring and control for the Mooselake Manor Ubiquiti wireless APs including the web based MRTG snmp traffic monitoring. I occasionally log in and run updates/upgrades just for grins but it pretty much just sits there and runs. OT, but Mooselake south has a fire and forget Google Whiffy mesh network. Retired slacker…

1 Like

actually, the restrictions are due to supply. Because of their mission, when the
supply is limited, they limit how many any one individual can buy to spread them
out. As supply builds, the restrictions are lifted.

This policy started after problems with earlier releases where the supplies were
low and a few groups purchased large numbers of them.

so try again and see if the policy is still there (and try different suppliers,
they keep different amounts of inventory), if it is, try again in a few months.

David Lang

is anyone running WebControl on a pi4 ?

I run it on a headless Pi4 using Raspbian Buster lite. It runs very well, no heat issues, though WebControl is the only thing the Pi4 is doing.

there have been recent firmware updates to the Pi4 that have significantly
reduced the heat problem (turns out most of the heat was from the USB chip
rather than the main CPU)

David Lang

2 Likes