Webcontrol lost USB connection/lost calibration

I do have an over-voltage/surge protector (Stavolt) in front of the machine but i am living in indonesia and the local cabling as well as the quality of of the electricity is miserable. An UPS which can cope with under-voltage and supplies a clean sinus wave costs a fortune.

I am sorry to hear that, when I have experienced USB con loss the screen freezes on the last gcode line processed and the home position is still visable, I either take a picture with my phone or a screenshot on the computer/tablet, maybe that will help?

in webcontrol under the settings menu and advanced settings, the home position is stored whenever you set it. I have not looked yet to see when it changes in an upset condition, other than to test that it does change when you move the home position with a right click and define home.

In XY?

USB connection loss can be a number of things. Static build up, ground issues & cable issues involving noise. Wire is a conductor and an inductor at the same time. Try a diffrent cable? If you see the issue when moving the CPU closer to controller separate them again.

Thank you

I just had one just after trying to connect to a DIY raspberry bluetooth speaker system from my android tab. Could it be that bluetooth could cause a adruino reboot?

the arduino reboots when the USB connection is reestablished, so it’s really
hard to know which end caused the problem.

I would not expect bluetooth useage in the area to cause a problem. AC power
cords or electrically noisy equipment (like the router) are far more likly to
cause a problem.

what is the non-arduino end of the connection? one of the advantages of using
webcontrol is that you can dedicate a Pi to it with a really short USB cable,
which makes the connection far more reliable (and it’s pretty easy to power the
arduino and Pi from a 5v source that includes a battery to eliminate power
issues)

David Lang

The characteristics of “the issue” didnt really change after moving the raspberry PI closer to the adruino and replacing the 3m USB cable with a short one. Its not an USB connection issue, the error message is misleading.

the arduino reboots when the USB connection is reestablished, so it’s really hard to know which end caused the problem.

I assume the arduino cant store debug information so it survives a reboot?

what is the non-arduino end of the connection? one of the advantages of using webcontrol is that you can dedicate a Pi to it with a really short USB cable[/quote]

I did use an raspberry PI from the start. First a 3B version, now version 4. After getting more “connection loss” problems i moved the raspberry close to arduino using a short cable and connected my 10" monitor with a 7m HDMI cable.

I hoped so but i dont see any difference.

Like a lithium polymer battery? Could you give me an idea of your setup?

I’ve been having the same issue, seems related only to z axis. Several re-calibration rounds but it sent the router all the way down into its lock pins, sparks everywhere, stressed the bearings and froze the x/y motors because it was right through the board, ruined my router.

I just gave up after having built a huge rolling box frame vertical table taking up a lot of space in my workshop. In the spring, I will try to isolate the problem, having bought woven copper shield tube to encase the z axis cable, will try shorter USB length, eliminate sources of interference as much as possible to see if I can revive this baby. I did get one small project out of it before it started to fail so badly, still like the Maslow concept. But it seems to me that the control software should detect and abort all stepper motors the instant USB connection is complained about. (Although I’m not convinced that it’s a USB problem, may be mis-reported by software.)

I’m a bit late to the conversation, but I have an issue with my Christmas lights coming on automatically when I’m cutting and flipping the breaker (took a few times to solve that one). What it does is cause my maslow to forget where it is and if i just tried to re-start, it would cut in the wrong spot (proven by experience). What i’ve learned is that the webcontrol keeps the home position in memory. I select actions > check for chain skip, which sets my sled in the position it was for my calibration. I marked my chains to ensure that i can re-position them to the same position for that chain skip. I place them back to where they’re supposed to be, find the last line of Gcode that was run, change to a G0 to get there, delete all the previous code, and then run. It usually works very well. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hello,

did anyone apply ferrite cores to “all” cables and did notice any improvements? Does it make sense to apply ferrite cores to both ends of the cables?

cheers,

Arnd

@Projekto

Going from a 7m USB cable to a 30cm USB didnt bring any improvements for me. I even think putting my Raspberry like 15-20cm away from the arduino made it worse… I just ordered ferrite cores… Will report back here…