What did you cut today?

Woah those came out great! Where did you get, or how did you create the drawings?

Hi Bar, thank you. The process I used:
First I found images (even in low resolution or thumbnails) I like with a google image search for example. Then I scale them to the dimensions I need (I used GIMP). I import them in FreeCAD using the Image module, that allows you to import images in a working view. Then I draw lines (in FreeCAD) on the lines of the image that interest me, and I generate the paths associated with the lines. And Maslow does the magic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I designed and cut a skateboard rack with my XL frame m2! This is my first from scratch cnc project. I sketched it on paper and did my basic math there. I used inkscape for my paths and easel for my gcode. For my inside corners I put some dog bones in there and used an 1/8” flush cut bit on MDF that was ~19.45mm thick.

My first attempt I had a z calibration issue and it didn’t cut all the way through and I lost my starting 0,0. I calibrated my z, and recut and it worked perfectly. Might break out the dremel and finish the cut, it’s real close!

Constructive feedback welcomed! Excited to share my first project.

10 Likes

Turned out well. I’m glad you got it going. What did you name her? (Every Maslow needs a name)

That’s what I would do. Either the dremel or an oscillating tool to get it as close to flush as possible, then a little finish sanding, and boom!!..you now have 2 skateboard racks!!

Great work!!

2 Likes

Really small and basic project, but my wife lost her cover to the water reservoir for her Nespresso maker so I cut a new one. Would have used acrylic sheet but the mdf is already on the frame. She’ll paint and seal it but she’s super happy to have it.

I’m really impressed with the accuracy of m2. Just bonkers.

4 Likes

Well it is the beginning of school, and that means Marching Band Season. I have been working on cutting some trees for my son’s school to use as props. Then need 10…I’ll cut 15 well…because…kids. They are made from 1in foam insulation with 1/8" hard board glued to it.

6 Likes

Are you able to cut these in 1 pass?

I wish I could, but I don’t have a bit with a long enough cutting edge to do so. I do 1/2" DOC with the hardboard on top. The Viking ship I did last year I had the hard board on the bottom, and I think that started my clamp issues as it was the hardest to go through at the farthest part of the Z travel (thinking of lever action here). So it is actually in 3 passes. I am sure I can cut that down to 2, but that would be math, and it is working pretty well so far. If it was just the foam, yeah…definitely in one pass. That hard board is rather hard…Oh, and I have found a straight mortising bit works best to not leave too many fuzzies in both the hard board and foam. Gives a cleaner edge.

Hi, a project to try 3D cutting: renovation of old outdoor chairs with Maslow
chaise_originale_vignette
I designed 3D surfaces for the seat and chair back. Here is one seat with Zaxis variations exaggerated.

To cut it: first raw milling at different Z levels with a flat mill,
fabrication_assise_vignette
then multiple passes following the surface with a ball end mill, and then the outlines.
fabrication_assise_2_vignette
Although a poor Z axis design on my Maslow, it worked well!
And after sanding and varnishing
chaise_recto_vignette
chaise_verso_vignette
chaises_et_table_vignette

9 Likes

I have those same chairs and mine are in need to a refresh too. Maybe I’ll do the same thing :grinning:

Interesting sled design. Do you see benefits with it?

1 Like

Made a magic the gathering card box for my brother in law

11 Likes

Looks good! What kind of finish you planning on doing or is going to be all natural?

I used 18 mm poplar (is this a good translation of the tree type?) plywood, the thinnest parts are ~10mm, so it is a bit flexible, making the chairs very comfortable :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, because it is not an intentional design. Actually it was a scrap part of a previous project that we found when building the Maslow, and that was intended to be a temporary sled to cut a new one. It’s been 3 years now… :rofl:
To answer the question, the sharp shapes and angles at the bottom are bad, because it offers more possibility to the sled to be stuck or slowed down by any imperfection or support altitude change when it is moving to the bottom

mind sharing your cad files?

Ended up using general finishes satin water based poly for it. Doesn’t color the wood very much so it stayed very close to the way you see it here.

1 Like

@buck2825 if you’re looking for the magic the gathering box above, here’s the easel project zip with all the svg’s and setups by operation.
Magic The Gathering Box.zip (245.1 KB)

1 Like

First attempt at resin. Used Mica powder to dye it. Pictures don’t give it justice.

4 Likes