What power supply for arduino

I have a side project I want to test on the Maslow when it comes. I got a second Maslow shield, but I was wondering what power supply is being used? Specs or a link?

Thanks,
Chris

12v 5 Amps. I’ll find some links for you shortly.

Thank you

2 Likes

The power supply for the shield board is only used to power the motors. You can use whatever power supply will run the motors you want to use, so long as it’s less than 46V. If you are not going to connect motors to the shield board, you don’t need to have a power supply for the shield board.
The Arduino Mega gets its power from the USB connection to the host computer. The same thing powers the encoder section of the motor connectors - they get their power from the USB connection too.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I’ll be running the same motor that comes with the Maslow. It’s the power supply being used for the stock shield and motors I meant to enquire about, including connector size / configuration.

The plug needs to be 2.50mm ID (0.098"), 5.50mm OD (0.217") - a standard size. The supply wants to provide 12Volts, and at least 5 Amps current.
I’ve been using one of these with success. Nothing magic about that one, there are many others available.
Power supplies for LED strip lighting sometime have the proper connector, another possible kind of source. Look through the forum for posts about power supplies for discussions about using PC internal supplies.

3 Likes

@blurfl basically gave the link I was looking for. I got side tracked trying to find a alternate parts page in the Wiki that seems to have gone missing. I opened a thread on it. I’m glad someone had the link I was looking for.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks guys, most helpful. Just trying to get stuff ordered before the kit arrives instead of waiting until after.

Cheers!
Chris

2 Likes

If you order a supply from one of the usual suspects get a spare or two; never know when another project will come along.

With a power cord and DC cable with the proper end you can use one of those perforated metal switching supplies, which will give you more options. They’ll have exposed connections so take the usual protections against contacting mains voltages.

Random example:

I have a 30amp version of the same power supply mooselake linked is that too much or does it matter. Still trying to piece together a build since the next order is a ways out.

1 Like

That one should work fine. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

awesome thanks for the quick response.

1 Like