Which System to choose

So I have been wondering about something, I know Makermade has posted he is working with Bar and the suppliers to start shipping out the Maslow systems again, and i know he has made some improvements to the system. My question is if Bar has worked on or with the $600 system being offered by metalMaslow which is including a stainless steel sled that has the z-axis mounting built in and includes the z-axis motor. I am kinda torn on which one to get but knowing if Bar has worked on this one as well might help in this decision. Has anyone compared whats being offered by the two? Thoughts?

1 Like

I’ve worked with both groups to get them off the ground. We haven’t really seen the final production version of either machine yet so It’s probably too soon to do a head to head comparison but I am VERY excited for both options

4 Likes

Thank you for the response Bar. Just want to make sure if we go with one of the new systems that you have at the very least worked with them or checked them out . Just a little reassurance. Thanks to all for all the hardwork .Many of us are excitedly and somewhat patiently waiting for the new and improved systems to be available and shipped.

3 Likes

Competition is always a good thing for the consumer :). Just so you know our sled is regular steel not stainless.

4 Likes

WD40 might be a thing if you are in a moist climate …

Thank you

Will it be anodized or have some kind of rust inhibitor coating? It won’t just be plain steel will it?

As long as there is a layer of plastic below it, simple paint will do (nothing
is rubbing on it)

David Lang

For the record, anodizing is usually reserved for metals like Aluminum or Titanium. What protects anodized aluminum is the oxide layer that is formed from anodizing, Aluminum Oxide is extremely tough stuff. So anodizing is the act of intentionally oxidizing a metal. The problem with steel is that the iron oxide that is formed if you were to anodize it is what we call rust. Doesn’t look all that amazing and usually doesn’t help protect the surface much (with exceptions).

I have heard of ways to actually anodize steel without just rusting it away but from what I gather it is prohibitively difficult to do and not very common.

Also, don’t let anyone ever convince you that they “heat anodize” steel on a stove or with a torch. By it’s very definition anodizing requires that the metal is an anode in an electric circuit. So if there is no cathode, electrolyte, and electricity involved then it’s not anodizing. If someone is making steel turn pretty colors with heat that is called heat annealing, it looks very nice but it is NOT anodizing and does not provide extra surface protection to the steel.

I’m sorry, I know no one asked for this. I just figured it’s good information to know.

8 Likes

Will be powdercoated

2 Likes

I have a cast iron table saw that has to stay outdoors (in southern Florida). It rusted up like the dickens. But, now I just use wood paste wax on it. It stays protected and has a very slick surface for when I do use it. That might be an option for protecting a steel sled’s surface, too.

3 Likes

Interesting. Idea luckily powder coating is only a few dollars and protects outside

1 Like

powder coating works if you have something else on the bottom, waxed steel
could work without any lower layer.

David Lang

1 Like

Just gotta remember to buff it every now and again. :slight_smile:

Late as usual these days, 1800 miles pulling a trailer at 50mph didn’t help.

We’re now seasonal residents of SW FL (have an awful lot of deferred maintenance items to deal with…) and hope to be equipping another mooseshop soon. How do you protect the saw’s mechanism, the parts under the visible table?

Still need to find a saw (and pretty much everything else), after scrubbing and painting the mildewed and dirty attached garage

3 Likes