You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch

I am drawing them out. I find a photo that I want to use. I load it into inkscape and put it on layer one. Create a layer 2 and trace over the image with Bezier curves. It’s a simple click to trace around all the lines. I make sure that the inside lines don’t touch the outline. I finish the drawing and remove the first photo and then move what I created to layer one. I group the lines to one group. Then I resize the svg you the size I want to cut it. Then load that svg into makercam. I create two tool paths. The first is the internal lines (features) and I set to follow path with .35 bit and clearance of .15, depth to .5 and step down to .5. The second path is the outline with .25 bit, .15 clearance, depth is whatever board is plus .2, and then .1 step down. I set my tabs to .3 deep and .5 wide. I only use about 4 tabs. Then I create g code from makercam. The actual cut is obviously done with two tool paths. The first is done with the pen holder and a marker. I hang the router from the housing to maintain the weight. ( I strap it tight to the housing with bungee straps). When that is done I put the router back in and cut the outline. As far as finishing, my younger kids paint the sides and back with black paint. My oldest daughter paints the front and she paints over the marker lines. I go over the marker lines with a fine point paint brush and black paint. It’s still a work in progress but we are zeroing in on a good process.

4 Likes