I have experienced the same failures again with the Z axis not reporting on ground control when the z axis moves.
I ran an experiment - I turned off the aux pwr supply on the arduino board that powers the motors.
I then tried to jog the sled in x or y - Gorund control immediately stops the action with a warning that the sled is not keeping up and something is wrong.
I then tried to jog the Z axis up or down by a tenth 0.1 in motion. Ground control did not error in any way. It would seem that the position feedback of the Z is different that x and y ??
My original post was that I was losing Z reporting of position change of z in ground control. I thought it was due to my not having compiled the arduino correctly with the latest version of Arduino IDE.
But further testing has revealed that I would lose z track at specific places in certain gcode files.
To counteract this error, I am breaking the gcode into smaller files that are created by cambam for each section of the design. It is interesting that one file has 60 canned cycles of boring holes (8 z moves down to cut at 0.1 in depths and 1 long z move to extract the bit to safety height) and I get no errors in the z reporting even though there are more than 500 z moves - strange.
When I run the outline file (the cuts around the outside of the part) it always errors on the tab z motions after a certain amount of time. It would appear at first look that long segments of x-y motion with z motions up and down for tabs is when it errors most - more strange.
Not sure what is going on - but a fix would be that ground control does a quick check to see that the z axis actually moved the specified amount would be a good fix. When the x and y motions take off when the z is at the wrong depth bad things happen and it ruins the part. If the sled would stop if the z axis fails to change on ground control after the arduino has moved in z, it would prevent the damage to the part. It would require a power down of the arduino board and a reboot of ground control (that’s what it takes to clear the z reporting error) but that is only an inconvenience. The part would be saved and complex parts could be built.
Thanks again for your attention and help in finding a cure for this error that I am experiencing
I am repeating this from the Ground Control forum topic for completeness. Wanted to start a dialogue of possibilities in fixing the Z reporting failures in Arduino code.