Zero z axis each time

I have using Maslow for a awhile now and love it. I was wondering though about zeroing the z axis. Do you always define zero from the backer board on frame or re zero to surface of cutting material when you change it. Should I do it each time when the thickness of material changes or always zero on frame board, for example when changing bits, etc.

What cad/cam workflow are you using? I guess most go with setting Z0 at the top of the work sheet and go into negative Z with the cam software. This means setting Z0 with each new workpiece. If you have bits of a fixed length that can be inserted into the collet at always the same length, you can set Z0 at the spoil sheet and have it in your cad/cam the same way only cutting in positive Z values. That would eliminate lost of zeroing.
Having that said, if you have slightly bent sheets you still need to add some Z to get through and on some parts you will cut into the spoil sheet.

Thank you quick response. As of now I have only been using Easel for all cuts. I have using an 1/8 bit for awhile and only zeroed it on the waste board. Would you recommend zeroing each time on work piece. If I did that and set thickness of material in easel to say 0.77 on a .75 thick sheet would it make it all of the way through. Sometimes it does not cut all the way though, but could be because of warped board.

1 Like

Just zero it when you change your bit, if you notice that the depth of your cut isn’t right any more you might want to re zero. But i’ve never done it besides when i change a bit.
Aslo, check out this

4 Likes

In my opinion a proper work flow includes Zeroing for each job. The fact is depending on your source the “job Zero/Toolpath Zero” point can be diffrent for each file you use. This depends on your workflow. I try to keep notes with any project with details such as point of origin.

Z Zero can be the top of the stock or bottom of the stock. If you use multiple CAM products It’s likely it will very what is “default.” By setting Z Zero you are starting at a know place. In my practice I now work with many diffrent stock sizes.

This is just my opinion

Thank you

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip. I’ve been thinking about fabricating some thing like this but had not really dung into it.

I double check it every time I use the machine. I have not had to reset it other than changing bits.

1 Like

On a normal CNC you are correct, but on a Maslow, zero at the bottom of the sled
works no matter how thick the material.

and if the g-code isn’t written for zero at the top of the material and negative
going down into the material, it’s not going to work very well, even if you zero
the machine for that job.

2 Likes

I have found that when I don’t lower the z to where the bit touches the workpiece, define zero, save and raise to traverse. (Sometimes I skip define zero) often times on the next run it raises to high and cuts air. Fart joke not intended. :dash: :warning: :mens: :biohazard: :loud_sound: :fire:
What seems to happen is the z raises even more when actually traversing. Is this what makes it too high the next time? Because if so, wouldn’t it also make it too high on the current cut? Either way. It should be protocol to zero each time or I am doing something wrong.:upside_down_face:

If you are using makercam the default safety height can cause problems depending on your setup. I glued the bushing on the carrier that moves up and down the leadscrew on the router. The default safety height almost ran the carrier into the top of the mount for the leadscrew. It also makes cuts take much longer. I set the safety height at .2 inches now.

1 Like

I set the safety height at .2 as well for a little speed as I haven’t had problems with it being too low! :smiley: